75 Gallon in Wall Aquarium w/ 55 Sump first tank and build

Here is the tank with the tv mounted. Also the sump working and cycling the tank. The blue tape on the front is holding the vapor barrier around the drywall until the trim is put over it. I am doing that tonight.

New questions:

How do I determine my tanks optimum level of water in show tank and sump?

Also how do you know the correct setting for the skimmer? I can adjust it to make the bubbles go all the way over the top or be barely there?

Hopefully going to get some snails and crabs tomorrow if the water tests ok. I got some tank cleanser to put in tonight!

Thank you all and hope you have a great day!

Attachments

• front before trim.jpg
    front before trim.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 3,180
  • sump working empty middle chamber.jpg
    sump working empty middle chamber.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,830
Hello and Welcome to the Reef!! I would wait to get the snails and crabs until your tank fully cycles! Plus they will more than likely starve to death, due to lack of food. Just my opinion. Good luck and I wil follow your build

Hello All! I am having problems getting pictures uploaded but hope to get it done today.

It didnt take me long to decide I want to move towards the REEF concept instead of a FOWLR tank. :)

I now need your help. What lighting do I need to have a successful 75gallon reef tank? I would prefer LEDS if possible. All suggestions and advice will be appreciated. I want to buy the right thing the first time! (well second time technically)!

Thanks!

I ordered a Tao tronics set off eBay that had great reviews on amazon. I don't know much about LEDs though. Has anyone used the Tao tronics lights?

I might just return them if they are a waste of money. However they were only 158 each. This same light, just cheaper on eBay.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Aquarium-Coral-White-Light/dp/B0058RXPOS]Amazon.com: TaoTronics Aquarium Coral Reef Tank White Blue LED Lamb Grow Light 120W: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Finally got the pictures working. Water tests have been good. Waiting for tank to cycle so we can start adding new things!

Thanks for viewing!

Attachments

• finished trim.jpg
    finished trim.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 3,075
  • damsel fish.jpg
    damsel fish.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,928
Good start. You probably want about 75-100 lbs of rock. Start with dry rock because its much cheaper and "seed" it with a few lbs of live rock.

Good start. You probably want about 75-100 lbs of rock. Start with dry rock because its much cheaper and "seed" it with a few lbs of live rock.

That is roughly 25lbs in there now of live rock. Is dry rock sold at the same salt water stores? Also would that 25lbs be enough to give the other rocks life?

Ive noticed at night there is little black worm looking things that are the size of a piece of rice that come out of the holes on the rock. Ive also located a crab and a centipeed looking thing that came with the live rock. Any of those sound harmful to the tank? (great descriptions I know!)

Yes, it should be sold there or marcorocks.com. Thats plenty to seed it, yes.

The black worms are fine, theyre just part of the "live" rock. :)

reefrocks.net is a good place to buy as well. Very impressed with my rock. They were much better priced then anywhere else that I found. But almost anywhere online will be cheaper then a LFS. (My LFS wanted 5.95 a pound for dry rock)

reefrocks.net is a good place to buy as well. Very impressed with my rock. They were much better priced then anywhere else that I found. But almost anywhere online will be cheaper then a LFS. (My LFS wanted 5.95 a pound for dry rock)

I think Im going to order 50lbs in a day or two. I would imagine I could put these in my tank while it cycles without any problems? Maybe soak them in RO water or the sump first?

Nice setup!

Welcome to the forum. I am relatively new here and to the hobby as well.

I have a 75 on a stand and currently running just an algae scrubber in a 14 gallon sump/tub.

Wish I would have known about pre-drilled before I started. You already have that and that is a good thing.

Back