750w of MH

Peoplepc3

Reefing newb
I have a fixture consisting of 3 MH lights, each 250w. I am trying to plug them in to the same surge protector and after starting up, they blow the surge protector after about 2 minutes. The room is has a 15 amp breaker and 750 watts of MH is less than 7 amps. I can run 2 lights all day....add the 3rd and the whole unit shuts down.
Should I plug 2 in to one surge protector and one in the other? I don't think I'm over powering the 15a room breaker. Ideas?

Last edited:
Are you sure the wiring is up to snuff on the fixture? I had 1000 Watts plugged into a single outlet on a 15 Amp and it ran without any isses, it sounds like something is wrong with one of the ballasts or the wiring on your fixture

I bought it from a buddy and I watched it run for a couple of hours today. I looked at my surge protector and it reads "max amp 15". I can run a combination of any 2 and it works fine. The 3rd always shuts the unit down

2 Things, your lights wont be the only thing drawing power on that circuit, if you are in a living room think, computers tv's etc etc. Also, Try a Surge Protecter that is rated for Home Entertainment System setups. Those are generally built for high electrical loads.

Edit: I run 716w (2 250's 4x54w T5's) plus all of my equipment on the same surge protector. When I lived at my old place, I had to be careful as the fridge oven/stove top were all on the same circuit.

2nd Edit: excuse my lack of legitimate electrical terms. but you get the jist I hope.

Last edited:
Ok thanks. May have a loose bulb as well....bzzzzz from the bulb area. Ballasts r quiet. Will check that as well. May be part of the issue.

The "buzz" you might be hearing could actually be a weak (by weak i mean just not enough to fire the bulb) current going through and exciting the gases in the halide bulb (they have a point at which they produce light). Ive had bulbs not fire but produce a buzzing sound as well.

Just to clarify, it is the surge protector that is tripping? Not the breaker in the panel? If so, I would bet that is the weak link. Try a higher quality one. The breaker in that could be poor quality or just shot.

Back