75G stocking scheme

Sashimi

Reefing newb
Tank details: 75g DT with 30g sump and 3g fuge. There's a Magdrive 12 pump feeding 3 - 1/2" lock line returns. I'm using a CPR CS102 overflow with one bulkhead feeding a refugium, and the other feeding the skimmer section of the sump. The skimmer is a reef octopus rated for a 250g tank. I'm using 2 tunze powerheads for water movement and an six bulb, T5 IceCap retrofit for light.

Here is my plan for my 75G. What I'm going for, is a colorful assortment of small fish, with the foxface as the 'star'. But at the same time, I'm trying to make sure and the 'jobs' get filled. (someone to turn the substrate over, scavengers for cleaning up debris, algea eaters, ect) I'm sure I'm missing something. So what do you think so far?

Must Haves-Fish name and why I choose it.

(1)Siganus unimaculatus- One Spot Foxface 7" Yellow, algea grazer
(1)Gramma lorento- Royal Gramma 3" Purple and yellow, can hang upside-down on live rock ledge
(1)Pterosynchiropus splendidus- Mandarinfish 3" Awesome colors, I like the way they swim
(1or2)Amphiprion ocellaris- Ocellaris Clownfish 3.5" symbiotic relationship with anemone
(1)in order of preference) Stichodactyla haddoni- Saddle Carpet, Heteractis magnifica- Magnificent Anemone(too big), or Entacmaea quadricolor- Bubble Tip

Other fish I'd like to have-not mandatory-especially if they eat pods. I know I can't have them all. LOL.

(1)Opistognathus aurifrons- Yellowhead Jawfish 4" light blue, unique behavior, substrate burrower
(1)Opistognathus rosenblatti- Blue Spotted Jawfish 3.5" unique behavior, substrate burrower
(1or2)Pterapogon kauderni- Kaudern's Cardinal 3" unique color and and way of swimming
(1)Nemateleotris magnifica- Firefish 3" I like the color
(1)Nemateleotris decora- Purple firefish 3" I like the color or Nemateleotris helfrichi- Helfrichi Firefish
(1)Ptereleotris evides- Scissortail Dartfish 5" I like the long body and fins
(1)Synchiropus ocellatus- Scooter Blenny 3" substrate sifter cool dorsal fin
(1)Parablennius sp.- Horned Blenny 4" cute little horns
(1)Ctenogobiops tangaroai- Tangaroa Goby 2" or Amblyeleotris guttata- Orange Spotted Goby 3.5" or Stonogobiops yashia- Yashia White Ray Shrimp Goby 2.5" I like it because of it's symbiotic relationship with shrimp (pistol I think)
(1)Pomacentrus vaiuli- Ocellate Damsel 2.5" or Chromis ovalis- Oval Chromis 5" nice colors
Last but not least maybe a school of very small fish. Is there anything smaller than the vanderbilt chromis at 2.5"?

How do you pick the cleaning crew? I don't really like snails, I do like crabs and shrimp though. I've been told this clean team works well. A bunch of Trochus snails, about 15 hermits, a few super nasarius snails, a queen or fighting conch, and a pair of Cleaner shrimp. I've also heard Nassarius snails and peppermint shrimp are good for keeping the sandbed clean and it's not good to back a bunch of critters turning over the top layer of sand.

Picking a clean up crew is easy, talk to Jeff over at Reefcleaners.org

Most of your stock list looks okay to me, but you definitely cant keep that whole list of fish in a 75 gallon (but it sounds like you already knew that)

I'd advise waiting at least a good 6-8 months before adding a mandarin - you're going to want an established pod population before adding one

You many also have issues with two jawfish in a tank that size

Picking a clean up crew is easy, talk to Jeff over at Reefcleaners.org

Most of your stock list looks okay to me, but you definitely cant keep that whole list of fish in a 75 gallon (but it sounds like you already knew that)

I'd advise waiting at least a good 6-8 months before adding a mandarin - you're going to want an established pod population before adding one

Correct- I plan on adding it last, and I'm providing a safe place in the fuge for the pods to reproduce. I'm also looking into an automatic pod dosing system to ensure there is enough food for such a voracious appetite.

You many also have issues with two jawfish in a tank that size.

I am aware of that. The list of other fish are fish I like, but not sure which ones to get. I'm trying to do an Indo-Pacific biotope.

My inputs are in purple.

Good stocking list. I think cardinals are boring. And they aren't colorful. In a smallish tank, I wouldn't waste the space on them (sorry, cardinal lovers!). I can't think of any smaller schooling fish. And I would go with either the firefish or dartfish. They are pretty similar.

Skip the carpet nem, they are super challenging to keep and are not not not not a beginner nem. The bubble tip will be a good choice once your tank has had plenty of time to mature, so wait at least a year before going that route

Skip the carpet nem, they are super challenging to keep and are not not not not a beginner nem. The bubble tip will be a good choice once your tank has had plenty of time to mature, so wait at least a year before going that route

Wait a year for a nem and a mandarin, I don't know if I can do that. Can I cash in one of the years I spent waiting to set this up? Why does a nem need a mature system?

Of course I'll wait, when it in the best interest of the animal.

A nem needs perfectly well established water parameters, and that comes from having a mature system. Mandarins need it for food, as they mainly eat pods, which come from a mature system. Often times mandarins starve to death before the owners eyes and it's too late by the time it's noticed.

If you get a mandarine that is eating frozen, you can add it any time. I don't think it's that hard to find one that does eat frozen too. Check for ORA ones, they usually eat frozen and have the additional benefit of being captive bred. Just make sure you actually see the mandarine eating frozen before purchasing.

I've adjusted my fish wish list.

Must Haves-Are still the same.

(1) One Spot Foxface 7" Yellow, algea grazer
(1) Royal Gramma 3" Purple and yellow, can hang upside-down on live rock ledge
(1) Mandarinfish 3" Awesome colors, I like the way they swim
(1or2) Ocellaris Clownfish 3.5" symbiotic relationship with anemone
(1) RBTA and GBTA

Still Narrowing down this list. Let me know if you see anything that will compete with the mandarin.

(1) Firefish 3" I like the color
(1) Purple firefish 3" I like the color
(1) Scissortail Dartfish 5" I like the long body and fins
(1) Scooter Blenny 3" substrate sifter cool dorsal fin
(1) Horned Blenny 4" cute little horns
(1) Tangaroa Goby 2" or Orange Spotted Goby 3.5" or Yashia White Ray Shrimp Goby 2.5" I like it because of it's symbiotic relationship with shrimp (pistol I think)
Small school of Ocellate Damsel 2.5" or vanderbilt chromis 2.5" or yellow stripe cardinalfish 2.5"

I would start with the clowns. They are hardy, colorful and silly little fishies. Clowns dont need a nem to survive in a tank, and even if you put a nem in there, there is no guarantee that will be hosted by the nem anyways. They may decide they like another location better.

I would also take the damsels and vanderbilt chromis off your list, they are pretty nasty and wont play nice with the other fish.

I would start with the clowns. They are hardy, colorful and silly little fishies. Clowns dont need a nem to survive in a tank, and even if you put a nem in there, there is no guarantee that will be hosted by the nem anyways. They may decide they like another location better.

I would also take the damsels and vanderbilt chromis off your list, they are pretty nasty and wont play nice with the other fish.

Everything I read about Vanderbilts says they are peaceful. I have read a few things, where the fish was mean when kept in a group of 1-3 fish on several forums. Informativ, fish profile sites like the one belowsay they are friendly if kept in groups of 6-8 and not not other chromis or similar bodied fish. Anyone else have more insight? I am leaving for the fish store in an hour.
Vanderbilt Chromis - Hurstville Aquarium Hurstville Aquarium

My info comes from personal experiences from people on this site, but you are welcome to try them if you think they are ok. Personally, I dont trust anything from the damsel family. Even clowns and blue green reef chromis can be butt heads and they are best behaved members of the damsel family

My fish choices.

Attachments

• Fish Choices.jpg
    Fish Choices.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 293
What I envision if the foxface and a school of miss swimming all over, the firefish hanging out towards the middle/top. Some fish exploring the the rock work, while others hang out on the sand. I'm looking for some activity and fish that exhibit different behaviors.

Back