93g cube of AWESOME!

Thanks guys! Our plan is to buy all the corals we want now and then just let them grow. When I say grow I mean...we will be paying the credit cards off lol. As far as corals go, I think I'm set with the sps's, I don't want to go over board with them and have to dose. So I want to start getting designer zoas and more acans. As for fish, my hubby and I keep going back and forth on the stock list. I only want a few more fish. Maybe 2 or 3. He wants it to be a wrasse tank with a small tang. If anyone has any suggestions on very colorful wrasses let me know! Not quite sure I want to go with the leopard wrasse just bc they require so much feeding. I also have to get my fuge running with some cheato. My sump is made out of the Rubbermaid bin and I have another smaller one I want to drill holes in and just set in there for the cheato. What type of light do I need? Can I just get one of those shop light things that look like a silver bowl with the light bulb in the center or would there be too much moisture and cause a fire? Anyways those are my plans for now.

Just some more pics.

aea7c95e.jpg

81126e3b.jpg

ecf3d6fe.jpg

7d402b76.jpg

ec63cee5.jpg

e76fe54f.jpg

87784f07.jpg

ecef7464.jpg

A few vids
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff466/beeguiles/76c69fb8.mp4

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff466/beeguiles/27f67f69.jpg

1117e778.jpg

832d7a3a.jpg

3812dfdf.jpg

04ef7e55.jpg

4c0299a7.jpg

Okay I think that's enough for now lol. Sorry for all the pics but I was bored.

I have a bad update this time. Looks like this is the beginning of my hardships. Last night before bed I noticed a white spot on the base of an acro colony. I woke up this morning to the whole base being white... I just ordered a test kit for calcium, alk and mag. Not sure when it will be here. But I will be able test those on Monday bc my friend is letting me use his. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5-10. Idk if the nitrates could do it but I just got done making my fuge and all I need is cheato for it now. On to my next problem. It seems like every tank I set up gets red slime in the beginning. I have an awesome skimmer do weekly water changes good flow and still the slime!! Will my fuge stop the red slime from continuing to grow? And the slime that's already there.. Am I going to have to kill that off? Idk today has been a rough day. My tanks are makin me mad..

I know you don't want to hear this, but I think an RO/DI would go a long way in helping solve your red slime problems.... even though your parameters look good, there might be some other nutrient in there that we don't regularly test for that is promoting your red slime. As for the bleaching sps, I'm gonna venture a guess that it might be too much lighting. Did you start them all on the bottom of the tank to adapt to your light? These high end LEDs are really strong and I think it can take quite a while for corals (even those that need lots of light) to fully adjust to them. Of course, hard to say w/o the other tests... and of course if there is something promoting red slime, that same nutrient could also be harming the coral. But these are just guesses, I'll be curious to hear what others think!

As far as wrasses go, I am very pleased with my red velvet fairy wrasse - he's stunning as far as coloration and can totally hold his own against other tank mates. I think one would be beautiful in your tank!

You can pick up 6500K Par38 flood light at home depot and screw that in to a shop light to put over your sump. They won't get too hot because they are LED, and I think they are pretty inexpensive.

Keep us posted!

Many times red slime is due to low flow in an area. Clean it out manually and then add a little more flow to that area/areas. Also, overfeeding can be an issue. As stated above the water you put in can be an issue. Don't know if you are using RO/DI or not.

Acros with white base is not good. You gotta get that Calk/Alk/ and Mag tested muy pronto, and if it is too close to the light it can burn it up. Usually that starts on the coral that is getting the most light though not the base, unless you have it tipped out at an angle.

Hope to see the Acro turn around quick, and the slime gone too.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will clean off the red slime and try to get some more flow at it. It's weird bc there is only one part of my tank that gets it, prolly die to lower flow. I think I might be going to my lfs tomorrow so maybe I'll ask if he can test it for me.

As for the acro. I didn't start anything on the bottom. I just had to light dialed down and turned it up periodically until it was full amount. All other corals look good except for one other acro that I'm not too sure about either it looks like it could be bleaching but I'm not sure. I will try to take pictures when I get home tonight so you can see what the acro looks like.

It could just be that the tank isnt fully stable yet, i know you used things from the old tank and stuff but it still might be slightly too new. Perhaps you could pop it in the 10 for a little?

Sucks that the red slime is back :c might just be some random stupid chemical in the drinking water that has absolutely no effect on you and I, but likes to nom nom acros and make slime.

Okay just got home a little bit ago and took some pics of the acro. It's hard to see but just look at the very base of the coral and you'll see how it's white.

5e112f7a.jpg

8607d9be.jpg

e0411ed5.jpg

856ebe64.jpg

Just had my lfs test for my alk and it was 16dkh. I tested my calc at home and it was dry high also. I took 28 drops so that should make it 560 I think.. Or around there. So I have high calcium and high alk. Is this more of a negative or a positive? Is it going to cause major problems if I leave it as is? Keep in mind this is the first time i have tested this stuff and all other corals in my 10 and 29 are doing great.

So while waiting for my test kit to come I used my friends API test kit. Both calcium and alk are very high. But since they are both high that is okay right? Yesterday I picked up some Caulerpa prolifera for my fuge. Don't laugh at my sump as its just a big bin with a smaller one inside for the fuge. I didn't really know what I was doing for plumbing so idk if the shut offs are in the right spots but they shut the water off regardless. Anyways here's a sump shot and a Fts. Sorry for the reflections I have a lot of windows.
afcbdb80.jpg

a2db3179.jpg

That's a good idea for a sump imo. Much easier than plumbing and s long as its hidden who cares?

I'd be interested in a detailed diagram of your sump and what it's running.

Hmm. Well idk if I can make a diagram bc I use my iPhone but it's actually really simple. All it is really is flexible tubing for the overflow and the return. Not too sure of the size tubing. I'm using a mag 9.5 return pump. For the skimmer I have the reef octopus 6in pinwheel. In between the skimmer and the return pump is a smaller tub with holes drilled I the sides with live rock and macro algae. The light is just a regular Cfl curly light bulb. My hubby and my father in law did the plumbing for me. All I know is it runs lol.

Back