A complete newbie who needs a way to start!

I'd go for one of the hydor koralia nano powerheads. They run around $25 here in the states, not sure how much they are over in the UK. The attach to the glass via a magnet and are pretty durable.

Thanks Fishy. I wasn't able to purchase the things I wanted as we had some pretty bad snow fall here, but I'm going to order a few things online now.

Which Koralia Nano Powerhead would you recommend, the 900 or 1600 l/h one? I've also seen some used one's on Ebay, would they be any good and work the same?

have you looked at the reef keeper lite, it will control your heater and many other things. It is a little more up front but will save you money in the long run.

I have a koralia nano that is now in my 45. I have had that sucker for three years been in two different tanks, pushes 240 gph. I think that is the smallest they make.

I went out and bought a 55 litre nano aquarium. It was a half price ex-display which is in pretty decent shape so I went for it.

What do you guys think? It's got a back filter type of thing which looks a bit like a mini sump. Could I possibly use it as a sump?

20130121215540.jpg
20130121215601.jpg

content_round.php

I see. I was a little skeptical when I saw that, but didn't have a lot of time as they were closing, so I just went for it.

Thank you Chi, I could just do that!

I'm going to order my power head next, but just before I do, I wanted to make sure I buy the correct one.

Would either of these be okay?

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hydor-Koralia-Nano-Circulation-Wave/dp/B003VV3ICW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1358811288&sr=1-1"]Hydor Koralia Nano 900 Circulation and Wave Pump: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hydor-Koralia-Nano-1600-Circulation/dp/B003ZGCUCC[/ame]

I'm only really going to have one power head, so I wanted to know shall I go for the more powerful one, because there is barely a price difference between the two.

First i'd like to welcome you to living reef. and as far as the powerhead it would't make to much of a differace between those two. so go for the 1600 just for flow purposes.

Thanks Daghda. I shall be buying the 1600 then, thanks.

I need a little help from you guys setting up this mini sump at the back.

I've got some 'special' carbon and these ceramic rings, along with these round balls. I was planning on using these but I don't know which order to put them in. I was also planning on using some miracle mud but I don't know which compartment to place it in as the flow has to go from the bottom rather the tops and I'm not sure if water can actually flow through the miracle mud.

Could any of you kindly help me work this out?

20130122175938.jpg

20130121215601.jpg

I was thinking of placing the carbon at the bottom of section 1 and the ceramic rings on top of them, then in section two have some miracle mud, but as you can see, the small flow through goes to the bottom, and the third area is where there will be a small pump and my heater. I'm not sure about them round balls. I'll probably be able to fit them into the first area as well.

If you think there's also anything else I can include or shouldn't include, that would be of help.

Just any tips on how I can do this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Those bio balls will be a problem later they trap stuff in them and become a nitrate factory. The ceramic rings are for housing bacterial as well most people dont use them. Kinda a fresh water thing. Carbon yup use that. I dont have a all inclusive system but from what I have read on here most use live rock rubble in back and carbon. Your bacteria filtration will be from all the live rock in the tank that is the main filtration, that and a clean up crew. Hopefully some one with a bio cube or some other inclusive system will chime in.

Thanks Ted. Alright, I shall just use the Carbon. Do you think it's worth using Miracle Mud, and if so, any ideas as to how I could do it for this one?

I see. I was a little skeptical when I saw that, but didn't have a lot of time as they were closing, so I just went for it.

Thank you Chi, I could just do that!

I'm going to order my power head next, but just before I do, I wanted to make sure I buy the correct one.

Would either of these be okay?

Hydor Koralia Nano 900 Circulation and Wave Pump: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Hydor Koralia Nano 1600 Circulation and Wave Pump: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

I'm only really going to have one power head, so I wanted to know shall I go for the more powerful one, because there is barely a price difference between the two.

The 900 is the equivalent to what chichi has (I also have that model, but I have 2 of them); the 1600 is a step up and pushes more water per hour. I personally would go with 2 of the 900 instead of 1 of the 1600 so that you can create a variety of flow patterns in your tank (for example putting one powerhead on opposite sides of the tank to create some current). With only 1 powerhead you might end up with dead spots. If you already bought the 1600, then when you get it I'd just play around with positioning so you get flow in all areas of your tank. You might want to put it on the opposite side of the return area from the sump area. Which ever way you go, you will be happy with the koralia!

I have never used miracle mud. I was looking at it at the lfs with my current system and even though he sold it he wasnt a big fan. Told me that you get a "coating" in the display from it and that you have to add to it every 6 to 9 months. I was all set to buy the stuff from him and he talked me out of it. Kinda strange behavior for a lfs most are there to make a buck and if I was going to use it he was going to be selling it to me yearly from the look of it. However Jason is amazing guy and even helped me plumb my system for free.

Ah I see. I haven't purchased it just yet, but I think I've found a better solution.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8MoHV-6gaY]Aqua one aquanano 40 marine reef tank - YouTube[/ame]

This person is using a Hydor Rotating Water Deflector in the outlet of where the pump outlet hole will be (I have the same tank). The water deflector really looks quite good, so I was thinking of purchasing one of them and the 1600 Koralia, so I shouldn't suffer from dead spots.

The only thing I'm debating now is the outlet pump that will be behind that sump area. The user in the video is using an Eheim Compact Pump 1000 but there are one's which are a little more powerful, so I'm not sure if I should purchase one that's stronger even though I'm guessing that the flow from the 1000 should be enough.

I have never used miracle mud. I was looking at it at the lfs with my current system and even though he sold it he wasnt a big fan. Told me that you get a "coating" in the display from it and that you have to add to it every 6 to 9 months. I was all set to buy the stuff from him and he talked me out of it. Kinda strange behavior for a lfs most are there to make a buck and if I was going to use it he was going to be selling it to me yearly from the look of it. However Jason is amazing guy and even helped me plumb my system for free.

I've seen a few reviews saying the same thing, too. Interesting. I guess it'll just be the Carbon packet, heater and pump alone at the back then.

You don't necessarily need to run carbon all the time - in some cases in can make the water too clean by removing the good stuff. You could add rock rubble and chaetomorpha macro algae in the sump as well which will help outcompete nuissance algae for nutrients.

Back