A complete newbie who needs a way to start!

I tend to think that live sand is a rip off. I have used both live and dry sand on tank builds the only difference I noticed was that my wallet got thinner. As long as it is NOT a silica based play sand you should be good.

Thanks guys. I went for nature's ocean so I'll see how that goes.

I was just compiling a the cost of how much everything has been so far and really, I was wrong. There is no way of getting into this hobby cheap if you want to do it properly.

Here's my list:

HYDOR FLO POWERHEAD WATER DEFLECTOR - £14.99
EHEIM COMPACT POWER PUMP - £23.38
D-D REFRACTOMETER - £34.95
INSTANT OCEAN SALT - £26.45
MAG FLOAT - £4.55
GLASS THERMOMETER - £2.00
HEATER SUCTION ATTACHMENTS - £1.99
NATURES OCEAN LIFE ARAG SAND - £27.25
AQUAONE AQUANANO 40 TANK - £50
HYDOR KORALIA NANO 1600 - £29.90
PAR38 BULB - £76
PAR38 REEF CLAMP HOLDER - £31.50
PIPES AND FITTINGS £5

That makes a total of £327.96, which equates to $517, and I'm yet to purchase the RO, the test kits and the live rock.

For sure.

I have a few questions, the first one mainly being for you ChiChi.

I noticed your maroon Clown's were in a 10G. I've read that these guys need to be in a much bigger tank and I know you've got your 60G cube as well. Have you re-housed them or are they still in the 10G, and do they seem to live fine or is/was that just a temporary home for them?

When I begin getting everything together and the tank begins it's cycle, if I was to buy 'Live rock' with coralline algae, would it die as the tank is currently in it's cycle, or would it continue to grow? I ask as I can't see much point then in purchasing live rock if all of that good stuff is going to die off anyway. It won't die in transit as the LFS is only 5 minutes away and their rock is kept in water with lighting.

Final question is, during a cycle, I understand the process of what a tank needs to go through and I've read how people add a raw shrimp to ignite the ammonia in the tank. I'm sure a cycle will start regardless of whether I add it or not (I think), but either way, if you a cycle your tank with and without, does it help the rock, since that's my natural filter, handle higher loads if I was to put in a piece of shrimp rather than nothing? & would it be beneficial for the future seeing as it's now been given such a strong piece to deal with?

I havent lost any coraline on any of the rocks I have put in while cycling a tank. Either way will work but having a raw shrimp for a couple of days in there gives it a jump start.

Laz, I actually had planned on moving my clowns into the cube before now. It is definitely temporary. They will be going to the cube within the next few weeks.
Your live rock will be fine through the cycle. Adding some food for the bacteria could only help. Just remove it if you see too much of an ammonia spike.

You do need to add some sort of ammonia (ie the rotting shrimp) to cycle a tank, otherwise their is nothing to start feeding and growing the biofilter with until you add fish, and then you see another cycle that will harm your fish, potentially killing them.

Cheers guys, will do.

My RO is finally in and the tank is up and running. (will post pics)

I wanted to ask, shall I add the sand before I add the salt? Because it's 'live sand' I'm guessing it already contains a level of salinity, so would it be best to add that first to the tank and then add salt accordingly to what the salinity has changed to?

My friend... I am also student and also started with no money...My experience : Go atlesast 20 gallons.. the costs won`t be so big, but it will be a lot, a lot easier :) ...

You don`t need protein skimmer or filter... Just get a powerhead (very strong one), and heater :) ... And live rock :) For lamps use t5... If You are handy, you can make fixture on your own (like I did), It saved me like 70 $ :) ... because the fixture costed like 2 $ :) ... You can check my DIY videos on youtube channel :) Pavilons's channel - YouTube

Cheers guys, will do.

I wanted to ask, shall I add the sand before I add the salt? Because it's 'live sand' I'm guessing it already contains a level of salinity, so would it be best to add that first to the tank and then add salt accordingly to what the salinity has changed to?

First saltvater and then sand... Or sand and imidieatelly after the salt water :)... Don`t put sand in to freshwater or freshwater in to sand... It can and will kill some of the worms and/or bacteria ...

Wish I could home a bigger tank, buddy, but I've got everything already so I guess I'll have to live with it for now.

Oh yes, good point. Salt first it is!

Guys, when I'm measuring salinity on my refractometer, should the water be a specific temperature or does it not matter?

How did you guys add your salt?

My instant ocean came with no cup. I expected them to have a measuring cup.

I just use a coffee mug or just pour. Then I just mix until its right. Never bothered with the measurements on the bag.

Im not sure about your refractometer but mine is one you dont have to get the water to a specific temp, it just tells me to wait 15 secs, then read.

Right, well I've got the salt and sand in. Temperature is all set.

Here's a couple of pics.

After adding the salt mix. Flow seems quite good.

tank1m.jpg

After adding the sand: I must have spent 20 minutes with my hand in the water trying to get the sand bed how I wanted but still failed. Never again, haha.

tank2b.jpg

Cheers guys, will do.

There isn't enough moisture in the sand to effect the salinity of the water you add. If the sand is supposed to be live I would mix the water to the correct salinity and then add the sand

I added the salt first, little_fish. :)

Been about 9 hours but it still seems just as cloudy. Half expected it to at least clear up a little.

Back