A few general questions on modifying canister filter lines

bradleyheathhays

Reefing newb
Just got a couple Eheim 2078s (!) to run the 125 gal I'm setting up and got a few questions...

1) I'm going to use two 200 watt inline Hydor heaters so I'm sure I'll need extra hose, but the Eheim literature says only use Eheim hoses. Is this entirely necessary or should I go ahead and get the Eheim hoses? Followup... Do I need to get hoses from aquarium supply specifically geared for aquarium use or will the stuff from Home Depot do ok?

2) Probably going to paint the plastic input and output tubes black (the rigid parts that actually go in the tank) and I'm wondering about what type of paint to use. Saw in another post someone talking about doing the same thing using spray can Krylon Fusion for plastic, which I already know is a good paint for plastic coating. Will this paint do, or should I look for something that is maybe specifically geared to be less toxic and aquarium safe?

3) The Eheim 2078 listed output is something like 490 gal/hr. How much will these inline Hydor heaters slow that rate?

Thanks!

Canister filters aren't typically used for saltwater.
You are better off with a sump and a protein skimmer.

Oh yes sorry I see. I'm sure I'm positing on the edge of my subject possibly here but I'm actually only preparing to run a fresh water tank. I thought maybe the equipment part of things would translate ok here.

Oh ok, sorry about that. It does come up a lot where people who are used to freshwater are making the transition to salt and assume a canister is the way to go. :)

1) I've seen others who don't like the green eheim color and replace theirs with clear tubing from home depot. So probably ok to do.

2) That Krylon Fusion spray paint for plastic is fine.

3) Personally, I wouldn't use an inline heater. Then again, I never have so I can't really answer how well it works or if it slows flow.

i think ehiem uses metric hoses if i remember correctly. i think you might run into a fitment issue tring to size different hoses. It is a german made product, very reliable.

Last edited:
i didnt know that hydor made an inline heater big enough to heat a tank your size? the ones i have seen would be for nano tanks, 20g or smaller. Be sure its not an inline surmerged heater also. Some require the water to cool the external incase the flow stops and the heater continues to run.

Last edited:
Back