Adding a Picasso Trigger..perhaps?

drummerboy

Reefing newb
Hey everyone,
Just want to ask everyone's opinion on adding a Picasso Triggerfish to my tank. I currently have a Scarlett Clownfish, Valentini Puffer, and a Blue Damsel. Any forseeable problems? Water perameters are good, all seems well. I'm just slightly hesitant cause the Trigger is a little bit bigger than my three and I'm worried he may turn in to a big bully. Thoughts? Opinions?
Thanks!!! Take care all,
Kennan

Trigger fish are very aggresive they will go after anything they can. They are meat eaters. I would not put a trigger fish that is bigger than your other fish inside your tank it could fatal.

Last edited:
Your clown and damsel could very well turn into lunch. Have you thought about trying one of the less aggressive triggers? The smaller the tank they are kept in, the worse the trigger will act towards the other fish, and a 77 gallon tank is still pretty small for a picasso. Picassos tend to be off the charts aggressive, and there are many types of triggers that are peaceful.

Triggers in general can be a nightmare. I had a picasso that was fine with the other fish in the tank but it would not leave my cc alone. It killed about $50 worth of cleaning crew before I gave him back. I hear Niger triggers are much more evenly tempered although not as interesting looking.

Hey guys,
I have to say, that when I first looked into keeping a saltwater tank, the Picasso was one of the ones I wanted. But..realistically with what I already have..I honestly don't want to chance it. Perhaps another aquarium, some other time...
It's interesting that you mention the Niger trigger because they have a little guy there at my LFS! I'd prefer the Picasso but the Niger is much smaller and I feel would probably do better with what I already have. Perhaps if my fish get considerably bigger or if they get a small picasso, I'd consider it(after I consulted you guys, of course :) Mind you..I don't think you could put a Picasso and a Niger together, could you?
I have to go out of town Saturday to mid-Sunday and don't want to have to worry about my fish. I can keep an eye on them tomorrow but after that..not much for the next day or two, and I'm sure somebody would die, with my luck. And I've already grown kinda partial to the ones I have now.
I appreciate the advice!! Any more thoughts or suggestions..please let me know!! Don't forget to tell me your thoughts on the Niger. Take care guys(and gals!!!)
Kennan

niger triggers are very safe most of the time. so are pink tail triggers. personally i fee that picassos come second in the aggressive trigger world next to the clown trigger which is a complete nightmare. no way would i even keep a clown trigger even thought it is one of the most beautiful fish in the ocean. If you are planning on keeping a 77 or whatever you say it is. i would go with either a niger trigger or blue jaw. you could even get away with a male and femal..... maybe not with your current bioload and fish but you could with a tank your size

Hi guys,
As much as I wanted to go with the Picasso, I decided not to risk it. I chose the Niger Trigger instead. Although it's only been twenty minutes..all seems well. I'll continue to monitor. Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and advice..MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
Take care all,
Kennan

Back