Aiptasia

I've got one Aptasia that is probably 2in long now and halfdollar sized..I feed it mysis....Pest or not I think they are neat...

We'll see if you're singing the same tune once it kills your fish and corals! :lol:

That would be a 15$ "OMG Look!" moment, they way I look at is in nature this animal exists with the fish and corals, let them sort it out.

I also keep it away from the other things in the tank, if one day I need that spot it will have to go.

That would be a 15$ "OMG Look!" moment, they way I look at is in nature this animal exists with the fish and corals, let them sort it out.

In nature, there are natural controls for it. In nature, everything is balanced. In your tank, there isn't that balance, which is why things like aiptasia can get out of control. YOU CAN BE THE BALANCE THAT MOTHER NATURE WANTS YOU TO BE!!! :mrgreen:

Large aiptasia can also pack a potent sting if fish brush up against them. When they get big, they post a real threat to fish that just happen to swim by and they can easily kill them.

So I need to get a peppermint shrimp or two to keep it in check? The only issue with that is that the Aptaisia would be wiped out, not kept in check...so...yeah Balance provided by me is keeping the population to 1 and monitoring it's isolation...If the fish is smart enough it won't go and jump in the mouth of a predator...

It doesn't have to jump in the mouth. It just has to swim by and brush against its tentacles. Boom. Dead fish lying on your sand. Death by anemone sting.

I assume most SW tank owners want the best possible environment for the health and safety of their livestock. I don't think you'd keep a fish that eats your other fish in the same tank would you? So why an anemone that does the same thing?

What I was driving at is that many many people have other nems and from my understanding most nems sting and kill their food...so how is this any different?

And, not that I do this...but many..many many many people feed certain fish live fish, because that is what that fish happens to eat...other than cost how is a goldfish and a clownfish any different in importance?

What I was driving at is that many many people have other nems and from my understanding most nems sting and kill their food...so how is this any different?

And, not that I do this...but many..many many many people feed certain fish live fish, because that is what that fish happens to eat...other than cost how is a goldfish and a clownfish any different in importance?

Nems like Bubble Tips and the like are generally fish safe. And are you buying the Clownfish with the intentions of feeding it to your Aiptasia? Or are you keeping Clownfish as pets? IMO that's the difference. Buying live shrimp for the purpose of it being food is the same way. Would you feed your pet rabbit to a wolf because that's what they do in nature? Just my 2 cents.

I've got one Aptasia that is probably 2in long now and halfdollar sized..I feed it mysis....Pest or not I think they are neat...

Thats what I first thought about it and was even feeding it but then all of a sudden it doubled in size in what seemed like over night so I think it needs to go! My fish are all skiddish enough!

I think my biggest one is bigger than that!

No Aiptasia-X at Petco, I didn't call ahead, but that was ok because I took Bella, she is scared in the car and so she got a treat when we got there and when we got home...too bad she puked the treat up in the car on the way home! Did get training class info! Hmmmm $99 at Petco for 6 weeks or $119 at Petsmart for 8 weeks.....

....Did get training class info! Hmmmm $99 at Petco for 6 weeks or $119 at Petsmart for 8 weeks.....

I'd go with neither. I worked at a PetSmart for 3 years and took all their training classes with my dog simply because it was free for me. IMO it was a waste of time and nothing that you can't do on your own with the help of a book or the internet. But that all depends on how well you can communicate with your dog and the time you're willing to put into it. I will say that those classes ARE good for socializing dogs as puppies as well as helping the bond between pet and owner. I just think that there are cheaper and easier options out there :P I'm running in circles with your thread. Sorry!

I love my little clown, my daughter is learning her fish from my aquarium and it is adorable, but I also realize that it has a huge amount of area to swim in relative to the very small and secluded nem.

If I felt like the fish was in iminent danger I would do something about it. Why does the fish get priority over the nem? If I kill the nem then I directly took it's life...

I'm playing devil's advocate here more than anything I see yall's points and share most of your opinions, but I do think that a fish of proper intelligence will know to stay away from the 3 in cube of space that it would be hard pressed to get into anyway....there is a reason you don't see many sick/dumb/slow animals...they get eaten, the smart and strong live.

I'd go with neither. I worked at a PetSmart for 3 years and took all their training classes with my dog simply because it was free for me. IMO it was a waste of time and nothing that you can't do on your own with the help of a book or the internet. But that all depends on how well you can communicate with your dog and the time you're willing to put into it. I will say that those classes ARE good for socializing dogs as puppies as well as helping the bond between pet and owner. I just think that there are cheaper and easier options out there :P I'm running in circles with your thread. Sorry!

No worries! I'm ADD, thats how my mind works!

So you wouldn't suggest I sign her up for one set of classes and see? Or do you think I should just try it on my own for a while and then try?

Last edited:
What if aiptasia and clownfish come from different parts of the world? Different oceans, for example? Then your idea that "dumb clownfish should know better" than to touch it is null! How would they know? They've never encountered that type of animal before! :mrgreen:

What if aiptasia and clownfish come from different parts of the world? Different oceans, for example? Then your idea that "dumb clownfish should know better" than to touch it is null! How would they know? They've never encountered that type of animal before! :mrgreen:

Indeed, and I considered this....but and this is not scientifically accurate, the rock is from fiji, there are clownfish in fiji(this works for about location I think, clownfish are pretty widespread, as are the rocks with the aptaisia)

No worries! I'm ADD, thats how my mind works!

So you wouldn't suggest I sign her up for one set of classes and see? Or do you think I should just try it on my own for a while and then try? Ever heard of Quansa training? Someone told me to look into that.

I've heard the name but never really bothered looking into it so I have no idea what it entails. I would say if you have an extra $100 lying around it definitely doesn't hurt. But it really depends on whether you're just looking for basic puppy training (which, depending on the breed, is incredibly easy) or you're looking to correct problem behavior (which can be tougher). My dog is a model citizen. We did the basic puppy training before we even went to the classes so for me it was mostly socializing with other dogs (and showing off!). We run agility in the summer and compete in small local competitions. I chose not to use professional training for any of that. However, he is an alarm barker. Anytime anyone shuts a car door outside or he thinks someone is in the yard, he's off. Try as I might, I can't break him of the habit. At this point, I can get him to quiet on command but it's been a long, irritating road haha. If I had a few extra dollars lying around, I might look into professional help but for the most part I think just working with your dog and learning how to communicate what you want of them does what most people want from their dogs. I also am a firm believer that working with your dog really strengthens that bond between you. In case you were wondering, I grew up in a family of dog lovers. My aunts bred and trained Chesapeake Bay Retrievers. I also spent two years in animal behavior studies at university as part of a pre-vet background. So this might heavily influence how successful my training with my dog was :P

But is YOUR clownfish from Fiji? Or is it tank-bred? Maybe it's aiptasia-fearing instincts have been wiped away by generations of domestication!

Back