Air bubbles from return, okay?

cgirl

Reefing newb
Okay, newbie here. Just got my tank set up (150g w/ sump, 600 gph overflow, 600 gph return pump (yeah I know, need a bigger one), 3-4" sand bed w/plenum, 70lbs. base rock, 88 lbs live rock). Just starting to cycle and work all the kinks out. I drilled a small hole about 1/2" above the end of my return line to break the siphon should the power fail. However, with the turbulence from my powerheads giving a wave like motion to the surface, the return line sucks air intermittently causing air bubbles in tank. Is this okay?

I wouldnt want the bubbles in my tank.The smaller micro-bubbles will stick to the rock and corals and be hard on fish.If the they get into your fishies gills,they can sufficate they fish.Not to mention all the salt creep they'll cause.
Generally,you want the siphon break hole to be in the throat of a 90 so the pressure actully keeps it from sucking air.

Ok, thanks. I adjusted my overflow a little so I could raise the water level. The hole is now under water and not sucking air so shouldn't be a problem. Guess I shoulda asked before I made the hole :D

Back