Algea boom!! ASAP

liga

Reefing newb
Ohhk ive been running my tank for like 1 month and a half and i just put in two clownfish and 4 snails last week. Then i started noticing i had a lil bit of algea so i went to the lfs and asked if i can get red hermits to clean it. SO i got those and a coral (mushroom). Now i am noticing theat i have still alot of algea. I think its hair algea and so brown algea.

I have a 250 metal hallide penant runnig 8 hours with one hour break .
I also have a 20 gallon refugium/sump with caluerpa.

i would take the break off the light, just run it 8 hours staright. have you done any water changers, and lastly what are your water paramenters?

I was told to do a 10% water change every two weeks so i was planning on doing it saturday and my parameters are 0 ammonia,nitrite,nitrate and 8.2 ph

Like Nano said, cut the hours of your lights, check your phosphate level as well, but as you do cut the lights, Test that water daily, and change water more often, as the Algae dies off, the Ammonia goes up as well, best of luck, I just went through the same, and this is what I learned.

+1 everyone -- My lights are on from 2pm until 9pm only. Plus with your tank being so new, the algae bloom is expected.

Also, a lot of times even if you test for phosphate during an algal bloom, you'll read 0 - that's because the algae is so effective at taking it up that it sucks it out of the water column, leaving you with a zero result. My personal opinion is that a CuC, while effective at a lot of things, isn't the most helpful at preventing algae outbreaks.

In a new tank, some algae outbreaks are unavoidable, especially as you get used to how much you should be feeding/water changing/etc to maintain a good balance in your ecosystem.

What I can't recommend more is a solid way to export waste from your system. Water changes are one way, so you could up that - but it can be inefficient when you're trying to balance changing too much water (and upsetting the pH/chemical balance of your tank) with not changing enough and not making much of a difference.

Your refugium is a great start - is the caluerpa growing well?

Good flow prevents stagnant areas where algae can easily get a hold - got your powerheads pointed well to minimize dead areas?

Sometimes a temporary blackout can give you a chance to allow your filtration to catch up on the algae growth as well - if it gets real bad, you could black out your aquarium for 2-3 days, whereupon a lot of the algae would die, detach, and be taken up by filtration.

And...of course, water quality - bad water in is bad water out. Are you using filtered water?

thanks for the quick reply parrot.
My caulerpa is growing well and i have seen 2 copepods jsut running around there. I have very little dead areas and my water is ro/di water from the lfs. If i do a black out wont it hurt my mushroom and zoanthid? thanks

Looks like you're doing a fine job staying on top of it, then. It can definitely be frustrating when you're doing everything you can to avoid algae and it keeps coming. It takes a lot of patience sometimes!

It won't hurt your zoas or shrooms at all. They are super resilient and 2-3 days won't affect them. As the caulerpa grows, harvest it and throw it out, to export the nutrients.

Might also want to consider doing a phosphate test of the water coming from the LFS - never know, they might have old filters.

Be careful on overfeeding, too, that can definitely do it, especially in a new system where it isn't as well equipped to handle nutrients as an established one.

Alex

Thanks again parrotchute, i finally woke up and started to see alot less algea. I think my crab has gona all out on eating the algea and now its only on one rock. lol i got a crab thats on STEROIDS!! lol

Back