And We're Live! Buddys 75g Setup

Not sure, was fine this morning. had his mantle showing and blue, came home from errands and his shell was on the bottom of the tank in the sand, with no clam at all. just an empty shell. no remains, no evidence, no nothing. So... Im taking this time to focus on the tank and "restructure" it. I'm in the process of adding 2 additional lights and reflectors as soon as the standoffs and end caps come in next week, I want to add an anemone and another clam so more lighting = better. I also have begun spot feeding my corals and they love it, most have puffed up and colored up nicely so that will be a new weekly task. I bought a magnesium test kit as well. I want to add some sps's in the tank, I have a few but they're not progressing much so I may begin dosing my tank with liquid foods too.

I'm also doing large water changes, just did a small one an hour ago but don't have enough water to do one as big as i'd like. This one was probably 15%... in a few days I will do another water change, roughly 20% and then following 3 more days another. It doesnt add up for me to be losing this many things in such a short time period and I'm affraid something got into the water when they sprayed my apartment for bugs a month ago. So far i have lost: 1x peppermint shrimp, 1x yellow eye tang (due to aggression and stress), 1x royal gramma (havent a clue where she went...can only assume my CUC enjoyed her), 1x cleaner shrimp, 1x emerald crab (not a big loss there, just cant find him nor his remains so considered him a goner too) 1x kenya tree, 1x zoa frag, 1x encrusting monti and those corals have died within the last 30 days of them spraying my house so it concerns me and lastly the maxima clam. While doing this water change I syphoned out majority of the red slime algae I could see in the substrate and attempted to get it off of one of the rocks in the top right corner but it still has some on it, hopefully with the water changes that will go away. if not, I will try what littlefish recommended and do a blackout for a few days.

not the best update but I guess this is apart of the hobby. correct me if I'm wrong

I have been, started a few days ago. my urchin that was banished to the sump ate all the cheato so I need to buy more of that, my phosphate tests are reading zero but that doesn't mean there isn't an issue, seems how I have some red slime algae, something is up. Will be replacing the cheato my next off day. everything looks great today, all puffy and colorful. we shall see within these next few weeks.

so just about all of the red slime algae is gone. have a few more patches on the rocks that im syphoning with a small hose but its hard to get due to the angle of the rock and my not so flexible arm. Kenya tree, believe it or not is coming back to life. the stump that was left now has tiny polyps growing out of the top and it looks like there is actually 2 trunks now. girlfriend was happy about that so thats some good news. also zapped a few majano anemones with aiptasia -x.. the anemones are now black and shrivled up. hopefully theyre dead. if not, round 2 soon to come. I am also in the process of changing out my lights. Im debating if i should add 2 more t5 bulbs or replace it all with led's. any input with this would be great. it will only cost me 50 more dollars to add 2 more lights or 500 for new LED lights.

lastly, group order is being placed for mr. coral so will have a few goodies to add in the near future and hopefully some extras to replace what was lost in the last shipment.

update: installed a new br-110 reef octopus bio pellet reactor and also got my 2 part going. will post pictures later, currently in the process or tweaking my tank and the reactor. i am battling with red slime and will be taking measures to fix that. on a side note, just ordered my LED's! will be be documenting everything step by step in this thread as well as pictures when i build them and install them. Running to the LFS now to see if i can blow any more money :)

heres the pictures as promised... also have another update (not a good one :( )

pictures first though, heres what was on my doorstep from bulkreef last week:
goodieees ! :D
IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

and of course, the reactor installed in the sump although i will need to order another pump to increase the flow... the maxijet 1200 isn't cutting it.

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

and heres the update.... so this bastard right here

IMG_0192.jpg

and youre all probably like "aww hes so cute all upside down and stuff"...yeah, right... anyways..... i guess he thought he would get revenge on me for banishing him to the sump months ago by taking his anger out on my digital thermometer. This could be a factor as to why my corals have been pissed the last few days...

look!!!
IMG_0187.jpg

copper wires exposed and all :[
i should donate him to a sushi bar to be made into uni!

On a serious note, i dont know how much damage has been done to the tank if any at all but i am considering if i should buy a copper test kit. Now i have to buy a new thermometer :[

Wow, hopefully you caught it before it caused any further damage. Take a sample to your lfs to have them check it for you. No need to buy a copper test just to use it once or twice.

I called my LFS today and they do check for copper. If in fact i have traces of copper in my water, what should i do to eliminate them?

First, find out where it is coming from and eliminate the source. I think there are a few pellets out there that can take out the copper in a tank. If the copper has seeped into the rocks then the rocks probably need to be replaced.

It all depends on how much copper you have in the tank as well. A lot of supplements people buy can have some copper in them. That is okay but when you start adding copper from other sources is when you have problems.

i know what the "source" was, just have to get my water tested tomorrow to see if it did any damage or note. i did lose a fungia coral overnight... wonder if that had something to do with it or if it couldnt handle the quick increase in alk /calc now that im using two part

That's no good bro, lol I woulda tossed that asswipe down the toilet! (just like my damsels) but any note I wouldn't think that much copper wouldve gotten into your system, but who knows when it rains it poors, for me anyway. Good luck

i think he would ate through the porcelain! he was banished to the sump for eating my rock to begin with, i will update tomorrow with the good or bad news.

Back