anemone thoughts...

Brian_G

overly obsessed
okay well i have a clown that was given to me a while back and i really would like an anemone for it to host.

ive recently been considering it because none of my corals are big enough for it to move and hurt. i want to get it soon if you all think its okay.

im running six 54w T5's on a 75 gal. and the tank has been running good for about 6 months.

opinions?:shock:

your light sounds ok, it will move around where it wants. i dont understand what you mean by "your corals arent big enough for it to move and hurt? big or small that anemone can sting it and kill it. but sounds like your ok to try one. what type of one did you wanna get? i suggest a bta.

Sounds like you should be good to try a nem! I also agree with Knucklehead to get a bubble tip anemone if you decide to go with one. Keep in mind there's no guarantee that your clown will even acknowledge its existence, let alone host it.

Last edited:
well they are still frags and if it tries to knock them over they will just fall and not break off as they are just connected to the plugs still and not to the rock so well. just by a bit of glue.
it they made a blue colored anemone i would get it in a heartbeat but i have never seen one and it would probibly be expensive. so i would like a red one. im looking on liveaquaria right now at them so i will post a link to one i like for your opinion.

Im going to disagree with the above and say that your tank needs about another 6 months to be mature enough for a nem. Also, i dont think your light is sufficient for a nem. I recommend a min of 8watts per gal to keep a nem healthy long term.

the only blue ones i seen are carpets and they can get pricey.red bta can get pricey but you should be able to find one at a good price. they call them rose bta also

i wouldnt be very happy biff if it didnt host it.

the clown came out of a FO tank that it had been in for probably a year and a half. so because of its age and never seeing a nem...do you think that it would know what to do with one? (i know that prob a hard question to answer)

you can have a mushroom rock in there with also a anem. those dang clowns might just wanna host your mushrooms instead lol. they do wierd things.

I'll say it again cause i think you missed my post. Your tank is not mature for an anemone. If it dies, its going to take all of the creatures in the tank along with it. Save your money and wait a few months and upgrade your lights if you really want to keep a nem

gotcha. i could just wait.

why not be patient and make sure the next 6 months are as smooth as the first 6 months.

and besides i need a chiller before spring or i wont have a tank come summer.

8 watts per gallon is overkill. who keeps that high of watts on there tank? i dont
i had 500 watts on my 90 gallon. and i garuntee you i could of kept any anemone...

he only has 4 watts per gal. That is not going to keep an anemone healthy long term. Also, his tank is only 6 months old, yes the nem might make it but why risk it? Chances are it wont make it for very long.

yeah but im going to need a chiller. im in college and live with my parents and my father doesnt run ac. (i know how weird!) but still it stays 95 outside for weeks in the summer here in virginia beach. so im going to need a chiller and a pretty large one at that. im guessing about a 1/4 hp.

The 6X 54 watt T-5s with individual reflectors will support an anemone.T-5s are underestimated.BUT,I have to agree that the tanks still not mature enough for an anemone.At 6 months,the parameters are still just to unstable.

If you do get a chiller,you'll have to vent it outside somehow.Other wise,that 95 degree room will be 195 in about 2 hours.Chillers work exactly the same as an air conditioner.They pull the heat out on once end and blow it out the other.If you dont vent it outside,then the longer it runs,the harder it has to work.JMO,but for 99.9% of us,a chiller would be counter-productive.

Back