another ??? this time about nano protien skimmers

LConte17

Reefing newb
first i wanna thank everyone help thus far and i appreciate everyone taking the time to reply and help me out.

anyways i purchased a Current Nano Skimmer, and its pretty easy to set up.. my only issue is the L pipes that connect to the power supply pump, isnt long enough and doesnt fit the way it is suppose too.

here is the item i got Nano Reef Aquarium Water Quality: Fission Nano Skimmer Protein Skimmers

does anyone else have this skimmer? how important is it to have one?

Sorry,Ive not had any experince with that skimmer,but maybe some body has and can help you out there.
I personaly wouldnt have a saltwater tank without a skimmer.But I have heard of people having great results with out them.

If the parts dont fit something is missing, or your assembly is not correct. I would recommend to recheck all the parts to the parts list, and go back over the assembly instructions. it sounds like the skimmer tube is not seated all the way down into the motor housing. if you cannot find the problem call the supplier for assistance and if no luck return it if you can.

yah i actually went to a LFS and checked one out and the one at the store seems to have the same issue. i have all hte parts that came in the box and are pictured in the manual. i thought i set it up wrong which is why i went to the LFS and he had the same prob

i was thinkin of makin that piece myself outta 1/2 tube

ill take pics tomorrow to show what im talking about

Last edited:
When i demoed one of those i could never get it to produce any skimmate. I have a 12g with one messy stomotopod in it w/ out a skimmer and he does just fine. just keep up on your water changes and you should be fine w/ out a skimmer.

I tried one of those when I was just starting out with a 10g, and honestly...the thing is a piece of crap. I'd go without it. I run my 25 without a skimmer, and with regular water changes all is good (although not prefect right now, since I've been out of town for a while. grr.).

Believe it or not, you CAN get all the pieces to fit together. I figured it out once after a bit of frustration, and after giving it a shot I realized that it was just not worth it. No skimmate, tons of micro-bubbles, and it takes up a pretty big chunk of in-tank real estate because of its wacky design.

On the bright side, it comes with a variable flow powerhead, so I've gotten some use out of it even though I tossed the skimmer happily into the garbage.

Really? Check for a little tiny switch on the side. I didn't notice it until a few months after I started using it to mix salt water...it's really easy to miss and it's not labeled. Mine has three settings, I think.

...or, maybe they don't ship with those anymore.

i bought one of theese for my 10g. I just put the pump off to the side. Takes up more space but fits properly though. It never does produce any skimmate and just fills the top up with water in a couple hours.

Brian

You can start with a Sea Clone but if you plan on keeping any inverts or more than a few fish you will have to upgrade in the future. I have not had good experiences with the Sea Clone. Just my opinion.

Back