Another type of RO water???

Smitty

Reef pro
Hey guys, another question that has been on my mind...last week I went to my lfs for some RO water, and while talking to one of the employees, I asked him if their water tested 0 tds and he said no because it wasn't true RO water, and that it was just purified(I don't remember the name he called it, but it started with "cold" something). He stated that they had real RO water, but it was for their customers with sps tanks. I was kinda upset, because all this time, I thought I was getting the best stuff for my tank. Anyone else ever heard of another type of water for reefs other that ro...and no it wasn't di water. So long story short, I found out the the Jewel-Osco by my house sells water with 7 different purifiers including RO.

I wanna know what this "other special" RO water is this guy claims to have. How can you get better than 0 TDS?

edit: whoops I misread the OP, this store is selling halfass purified water? Are they advertising it as RO and the employee told the truth that its dirty, or did they say up front this is just slightly better than tap and we won't sell you the real RO unless you have SPS?

Last edited:
They may just run it through a regular carbon filter (kinda like the ones you can buy for your kitchen faucet that just attach to the faucet). I'm not sure though!

That seems really crappy. They shouldn't reserve their RO water only for their customers with SPS tanks! As far as I'm concerned, if I want to take a freaking bath every day in RO water, and I'm willing to pay for it, and you have it in stock, you should sell it to me -- regardless of whether you think I "deserve" it or not!

People spend a lot of money and time on their tanks. Even people without SPS! My tank full of softies and LPS may be just as special to me as someone else's SPS tank, and if I want to put the best quality water in it as I can, that is up to ME, not the person selling the water!!

Dude, that makes me mad.

Lol...yeah it kinda freaked me out, I haven't bought water from them since...I mentioned it to the owner, and he stated that its just as good, just not perfect like RO...and that he would give me ro water if I want it instead, and because most people have lps and softies which need a little nutrients in their water, so its perfect for them. I don't want to ask him the type of filter he stated again, cause I don't want to seem like I'm making a big deal.

He's being dishonest.

When you went in and bought water from him in the past - you told him you wanted RO water and that's what he sold you - supposedly.

Now you find out that it's NOT really RO water.

He's dishonest and I wouldn't ever shop there again. Maybe go in and ask whats the price difference between REAL RO and FAKE RO. If he quotes you a cost difference - then he owes you money!
:frustrat:

And LFS's wonder why they can't stay in business? :grumble:

Have your Lawyer call him and ask if he's willing to compensate you for all your hair algae problems, edless test kits and products to "condition the water" and dead livestock due to his missleading and fraudulant water sales. Oh, and print out some flyers stating his water is not reallyy RO unless you know the secret handshake, but they will still take your money for f-in tap water.

Wow smitty, that sucks!!!

Which one is it? The one on Oak Park Ave?

Yep, that's the one...aquatica. By the way BJ, I went to the reptile house on john humphies dr. That place is nice, but its a further distance than aquatica, which is already too far from where I live. I wish there was someplace closer.

I have just been using the water from Walmart. It is RODI, goes through a 5 stage filtration process and is only $.27/gallon. I can usually find the salt online for sale with free shipping.

That's a bunch of crap, man.

As for what kind of filration-- you said cold, so I thought maybe it's cold distillation... but that'd be a gigantic waste of time and money to do with water. So, I looked around a bit online and found something called cold evaporation purification...

http://www.envirowarehouse.com/waterpureemerg.pdf
(bottom of pdf)

seems like a chemically questionable practice if that is what they're doing... it says, "Effective for TDS, BOD,TOC & COD reduction." the keyword there is REDUCTION. That's just not good enough for our tanks, especially if told we're buying RO water.

As for walmart water, just be sure to get a TDS meter (~$20) because the filter changes on those units aren't super consistent, ime.

How much do people typically pay for distilled or ro/di water? I think my lfs sells it for around $1 or $1.50/gallon (I haven't bought from them in a year, since I got my own ro/di unit)

Back