Anyone can ID these things???

You should get a ro system. Theres a very good chance your kits are right, however that doesnt mean there not phos or trates in your water. When you have a bad algae problem the algae could be eating the phos and trates up so it doesnt show up on a kit, thats what I would think it is. Macro like chaeto is a ball of algae you dont want to get rid of it it will grow in your sump and eat the bad alges food and eventualy kill the bad. I you want to get rid of the macro just pick it up and throw it out it a ball, However it wont spread from your sump if you keep it there.

Bobby,

I do not have a sump.... All I go is an overflow, WetDry filter with a skimmer in it..... How big is the "ball"?

Hum... As for the RO system, this is expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe eventually I'd like to invest in one of these.... I am just now renting a house, and I beleive the ady i am renting the house from wants to sell it next year (lease agreement is ending Dec 2007)... This will be a lot of fun to move my tank!!! I don t even want to think about it... At least not now.....

If I bring water tomorow and the water turns out to test 0 nitrates like my test said, you guys think I could buy a yellow tang? They like the greens don t they??? I always wanted to get a yellow tang anyways..He;d be in heaven in my tank!!! It's green all over!! They are hardy fish no?? and a serpent star?? There again, if my nitrates test at 0....Would not want to kill a star...

YOTE, You definetely have a great wife!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!! I could never start hauling gallons of water.... lol..... 1st, won t fit in my car, 2nd don't have the energy for it 3rd, i think my mussels are not there either... lol....

I always ask my guy friends to take the bucket of salt out of my car and bring it in my home. then once I m done using it, ask my friends to bring it down in my basement. And back up when i need it.. They think it's funny and they call me "weak", but Hey!! I'm a lady!!lol... And those buckets of salt, i can't open it!!!!!!!!!!!! This is made for mens!!!!!!! Sorry guys, but i don t know how to open these things!!! This is so hard!!!!!!! I need the man power for that as well!! lol...

If I bring water tomorow and the water turns out to test 0 nitrates like my test said, you guys think I could buy a yellow tang? They like the greens don t they??? I always wanted to get a yellow tang anyways..He;d be in heaven in my tank!!! It's green all over!! They are hardy fish no?? and a serpent star?? There again, if my nitrates test at 0....Would not want to kill a star...

No dont add anything for about 2 to 3 weeks after the tank cycle is done, that way your bacteria can get a little stronger to handle a biger bioload. The ball is all different sizes to grws fast if you have a lot of bad stuff in the water. Your wetdry is your sump put the chaeto in there and give it a small light to grow with then it will eat the bad stuff in the water and eventualy kill the bad algae. Here is a link for a ro unit for 139.00, if you cant haul buckets I would get one of these. Tap water has metals and other bad stuff in it and over time it will build stuff up and could get alot worse, ro takes all the bad stuuf out.www.airwaterice.com Compact Reefkeeper with TDS meter

The clowns are doing great! They eat more then ever. They even fight over food when it's feeding time... It seems like they already got bigger... Not sure if I'm just craxy, but they seem to have grown already...

bobby, where do i put the ball in my wet & dry filter? Like where exactly? How can i put a light in there? My wet/dry filter have a cover on top.... Should I put the ball in my basket with the bio balls? or the glass pieces?? Sorry, might be a stupid question.... And does it matter f it dosn t have any lights?

As for my cycle, it cycled about 2 weeks ago... ive had the clowns for what?? About 3 weeks now.... remember, you guys told me to wait until last week end to add something in.... I'd love to add a yellow tang.... they are just so pretty......

Bobby, i will definetely lok at that link... is a RO system a hard thing to use??? Do you have to plug it to a fosset?? Cause this woudn't look too pretty laying around in my kitchen...

I think youll be fine being as the clowns have been good for three weeks the only thing you may need to consider is the yellow tang is rated for tanks in excess of 100 gals.

Hum... Well... i only have 10 gallons missing.......

When i will move again in a year, I do plan on buying a 125 gallon tank. I won't keep this tank for very long as my stand is made or metal, and it will enevtually starts to rust. i know for a fact that i will be out of this home in a year and hopefully, i ll buy my home. I'd like to get a bigger tank, and fit it in the wall. Would the tang be ok in my tank for a year or so if i buy a small one...

here are some links.. The first one says a minimum size tank of 55 gallons... i guess there is contreversy....

The Yellow Tang

Fish and Aquatic Invertebrates » Saltwater Fish » Tang - Yellow Main Page
The 2nd link, if you read in SPECIFIC CARE INFORMATION: they say minimum 40 gallons....

But like you sais marine depot and live Aquaria recommends a 100 gallons with plenty of places to hide and swim... Well he'd definetaly have that in my tank....

Are the yellow tang the type of fish to jump out and dry on your carpet?? i'm still traumatized for my clown....

I think youll be fine Id go for it there is no deffinate way to know without giving it a shot. Though I would look for a cheap one just in case and keep it logged in your journal somewhere.

a cheap what? cheap tang?? They are not the most expensive of fish anyways... Just hope it won t jump out on my carpet.. That s all... Anyhow, i ll bring some water to my lfs. See how it test... They may even not have any yellow tangs... I guess well see when i get there tonight, and take it from there... If i find a cute little tang, bright yellow, i m leaving with it for sure.. I ll post some pix :) The tang and the clowns should be ok toghether right??

May not be for the first few days or even a week but yeah they will be fine one of my friends has one housed with clowns it will be ok.

The cheato goes in the sump away from the pump so it doesnt get sucked up. Yes you need a light for it or it will die. If you have a lid you wont be able to keep it if you cant give it light. Y ou can put it the tank but it needs alot of movement. If your tank has been good for 3 weeks the I would think its ok to add a small tang, I thought it was only about a week ago that your amonia was up sorry.

Bobby,

I did had my clowns for 3 weeks. Yes, you are corect, was it last week? or the wek before, my ammonia was at 0.50, and the next day, went down to 0. tested again and it is still down to 0. I called my LFS and they are out of yellow tangs. They are a franchise, and i called 3 stores in other cities and are all out of it. One of then have some but it's about a 45 minuts drive from my place..... i might go down there tonight....

And Ive read that youre not supposed to handle the yellow tangs with a fish net cause they are "surgeon fish" and they can get hurt badly if you use a fish net? Is it true? or not? So if i can't use a net, then what am i suppose to use when i get home?? I mean i can drop it in a bucked to acclimate him, that s fine... but from the bucket to my tank after?? What am i suppose to use to transfer the fish??

Bobby,

I did had my clowns for 3 weeks. Yes, you are corect, was it last week? or the wek before, my ammonia was at 0.50, and the next day, went down to 0. tested again and it is still down to 0. I called my LFS and they are out of yellow tangs. They are a franchise, and i called 3 stores in other cities and are all out of it. One of then have some but it's about a 45 minuts drive from my place..... i might go down there tonight....

And Ive read that youre not supposed to handle the yellow tangs with a fish net cause they are "surgeon fish" and they can get hurt badly if you use a fish net? Is it true? or not? So if i can't use a net, then what am i suppose to use when i get home?? I mean i can drop it in a bucked to acclimate him, that s fine... but from the bucket to my tank after?? What am i suppose to use to transfer the fish??

And one more question, Does anyone here have a yellow tang? Shall I intruduce any inverts (ie. star, snails, shrimps...) before i introduce the tang..?

bobby said:
The cheato goes in the sump away from the pump so it doesnt get sucked up. Yes you need a light for it or it will die. If you have a lid you wont be able to keep it if you cant give it light. Y ou can put it the tank but it needs alot of movement. If your tank has been good for 3 weeks the I would think its ok to add a small tang, I thought it was only about a week ago that your amonia was up sorry.
Its ok Bobby every one will make mistakes there forgivable on this site :D

You can get hurt by the tang. Tangs have a scalple like bone on there tale that is razor sharp and can cut you good if it hits you. So when you do water changes keep a eye on him and dont let him get too close, better yet use a divider when your hands are in the water.

Back