Anyone can ID these things???

I have a yellow tang in a 55. Mine is fine, but is a smaller one. He will outgrow my tank eventually, I know that.

You really shouldn't handle your fish with a net unless you have to. Don't you bring new fish home in a plastic bag? Then you just let the bag float in your tank and then kinda "push" the fish out of the bag into the tank when it's ready. No need for a net at all. Nets can hurt the fish's scales and can injure their eyes. I accidentally gave one of my cardinals popeye a while back when I had to catch him in a net to remove him from the tank for a while and I felt really guilty about it... Luckily he recovered just fine. There's no guarantee that a tang will eat your algae, mine won't touch hair algae, he will only eat the dried seaweed I buy at the store. Maybe he's just spoiled...

And my tang has never shown signs of aggression towards me... He doesn't mess with me when I have my hands in the tank. And he gets along with my other fish just fine (even the clown and other damsels), so I have a very well behaved one :).

YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! i finally bought my yellow tang!!

Bifferwine, you said to let the bag float andto "push the fish out of the tank when it is ready". I tought you coudn t float salt water fish. i tought you had to drip them, and acclimate them before you could just put them in the tank?? no??

The guy yesterday almost didn t want to sell it to me as he tought I was the biggest "dumb ass". I asked if I cojuld buy a yellow tang. Then he looked at me ans asked if I had a salt water tank? DOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Stupid idiot, of course!! Then he asked what size tank, toldd him a 90gallons and he told me that the tang needed minimum 125 gallon for 1 tang. Anyhow, told him I wanted a bigger tank and he finally sold it to me. never aagain I am going to this stupid store. This was a new store i went to(same franchise) different location, and they made me feel like such an idiot.

Yesterday night, my tang was already grazing on my algae. He hides a lot behind my rocks,sometimes will come out for a bit. Then he sees a ghost shadow and just goes and hide again!! I guess this is normal....

yeah he will be timid for a little bit then hell get use to you my clowns were like that now I can pet them it will work out congrats on your tang I hope he lives a long time.

lol.. He better live a long time!!He s got the perfect tank to chill, and to hide behind rocks. and to chew on some of my green hair algae whenever he wants a snack. Everyone loves him!! So what else could he get!!??!! lol... I hope he's gonna be ok....lol.. Thanx!! :)

anytime and I dont blame you for not going back into the store I can understand them wanting to make sure it wouldnt die but he didnt have to treat you like a D.A. obviously if you wanted to buy a tang you have a saltwater tank. I would have told him nope I wanted to purchase him as a feeder fish for my bull shark then watch his eye go buldging out of his head.

LMAO!!! Seriously!!! I coudn t beleive this... The guy asking me if I have a sw tank?? like WTF! Who does he think I am? I should of told him I wanted to put this fish in a gold fish bowl.... Seriouisly... There is a limit for the fish well beeing, and thinking someone is a dumb ass..lol... Anyhow, i ll just go back to my usual lsf next time. i called the guy that worked there yesterday, and was gonna go to that one, but they were out of yellow tangs. Next time, Ill just wait.

Haha. Talking about feeder fish, I had 2 pirhanas before, and I used to hate see them eat feeder fish! I d have half a fish swimming in the tank.. it was nastY!!!!!

More Pix of the unidentified stuff

More pix of my unidentified stuff growing on my rocks. The shrroms looking thing are growing at 2 places now....:bounce: :^:

C-52chairdimensions010.jpg

C-52chairdimensions009.jpg

C-52chairdimensions008.jpg

C-52chairdimensions006.jpg

C-52chairdimensions005.jpg

C-52chairdimensions002.jpg

C-52chairdimensions001.jpg

lol.. still too blury!!! lmao!!.... But do you see what I am talking about??? would it be easyer if i circle it?? So you can see the spots I am talking about...

See the new tang :) Hiding....lol....

Hum, i googles the pix of chriatmas tree worms. I don t think this is it....Well, i m talking about the thing that looks more like a coral.... not the "feather duster looking thing..."It dosn t look like worms at all... more like they type of ruffely mushroom you'd find growing on a tree. Looks like it is made of a rubbery like texture.... It is a beige/seatrue color... Weird looking... Kinda ruffles.. i don t know... Weird.... Guess I will take some more pix!!lol

I wouldn't hold it against that guy for making sure you had a saltwater tank before buying a tang, he's just looking after his livestock. I've been in Petco before where people have tried to buy clowns for their freshwater tank and argued with the sales associate when he tried to tell them they couldn't live with their tetras and goldfish! DUH! He didn't know what kind of person was walking through his store's door, so he probably assumed it was safe to ask the basics before selling one of his animals. It makes you wonder how many people buy the "pretty" fish without checking if they are SW or FW first, unfortunately it probably happens a lot, and if employees asked that very basic question the first time they meet you, it wouldn't happen at all. I'd probably go back to that store just because I admire responsibility like that when it comes to LFS.

And about floating the fish, I float them in the bag and drip acclimate them at the same time; I tape the side of the bag to the side of the tank so that it doesn't move around and I do both. Then when the fish/coral is ready, I untape the bag and just plop them out into the tank.

Last edited:
Bifferwine, I see your point of looking at things, but still... I mean I just felt like he tought I was a complete dumb ass.
Aww.. for the float in the bag... Makes send now.. So you just drip them in the bag.... Hum.. May try that next time!! ;)

I agree with biff you cant blame him for checking. I read a thread once I think here, about a guy working at a lfs and a lady came in wanting 2 clowns for a gold fish bowl, hes said there salt water and she threw a fit saying another worker said she copuld keep anyhting in the bowl she picked out, then she came in the next day for a refund. Somepeople just dont know or care. He was just making sure your not one of them. IMO nothing wrong with that.

Sure he was doing it for the well beeing of the fish. just didn t know I looked like this much of a dumb ass!! And I was there about 1 month ago buying a case of 50 lbs of LV. And the same guy helped me. And I woudn t stop bothering him to ask him to open the case before i buy it cause i wanted to see the rocks in it... Anyhow, i see your point. All he wants is the well beeing of the fish and that s nice of him, but still, there s probably a more POLITE was to ask... So people don t feel like dumb fuck like i did... excuse my language..... But that s how it made me look.

Ya you also have a point most lfs's I go into say it like this when they see me even looking at salt water. "Oh so you have a sw tank" I guess he could have said "how big is your sw tank that you want to put the tang in" That would have been a little nicer.

Bobby,
Yeah, deffinetely, that way, his question would of been anwered, and I would of not felt stupid. I would of just answered his question, and I would of tought it was nice that he asked, and it would of seemed like he was interested in my tank....Sometimes, it s just the way you approch someone or the way you say something... I'm sure he never intended to be rude, but I still was like: Woah!?! You kidding me?? You know... The guy from my other LFS came yesterday night, and I told him about it. He told me i should of told him that i was gonna use the tang as a feeder fish. lol. Also, i told him i eventually wanted to add coral and buy an anemone, and his answer to the ananome was that he would not recomment any anenome to nobody. that when it dies, it wipes out the whole tank. That in nature, it lives for 125 years and youre lucky if it lives 5 years in a home aquarium, and blah blah.... not really the answer i was looking for. The guy that i met at the other lfs is encouraging me to buy an anemone. Not now, obviously when my tank will be cycled and stable... Buy he is way more optimistic then this guy.

But anyhow, sometimes, it s just the way words come out.... The tang is looking so pretty (when i see him). He's constantly hiding behind rocks... As soon as he comes out, I try to hide behind my wall, and peak at him but I think he sees me cause everytime, he s gonna go hide again... but he seem to be doing well. he was swimming in between the rocks, crazing on my algae... he haven t eat anything yet tho.... is that normal??? As he is always hiding, he is always behing rocks at feeding time. and he definetely won t come out anytime soon at feeding time.... I placed a piece of algae sheet on a salad clip since i got him, and he never eat any of it... is the algae on my rocks suffficient to feed him for now anyways...?

I have never owned one so I dont know for sure, but hes probably full off the algae hes eating and the reason he isnt coming out at feeding time is probably because hes still scared and getting used to his new home. The guy from the lfs is right, if a anemone is left to die in the tank it can harm it, the bad thing though is from what I've read its hard to tell when there dying. In nature they can live to over 100 years and in the tank from what I hear and have read any thing over 2 years is good. Why do you want a anemone? For the clowns? If its for the clowns they can host certain corals to. My clown hosted a brain, but that dosent mean all will, some wont host anything. Even though what they say about anemones I'm going to get one and try it when my tank gets older, just because I like them. If you do get one you'll have to get very high priced lighting with alot of watts for your 90. 90's are pretty deep so you will need a light that will penetrate deep in the tank. If you get one get a easier one first, I hear the bubble tips are the easiest and I know alot of clowns will host them. Good luck.

Bobby,

Yes, i want an anemone for the clowns but also because I luv it. If the clowns are too long without an anemone or without a coral, will they remember hjow to host it months later?? might seem like a stupid question, but hey!! I don t know?!?i think the anemone is such an interesting creature!! I can't wait to start putting corals in my tank. Or at least 1 coral.....

As for my lighting, the guy from my lsf told me i could put any corals or anything in there. Everytime he comes over, he's tripping out on my light. It is super bright.This is what i got(Current USA Outer Orbit 48")
2 x 150 HQI 10k Metal Halide
4 x 54w Actinic T5s (2-420nm 2-460nm)
Total Wattage: 529 watts
#of Lunars: 9 blue, 9 white

How many more months before the easy/hardy corals?

Back