Anyone ever heard of Bubble Magnus skimmer?

There is a big thread on RC about these skimmers. People said that they were a very good skimmer. Only problem at the time was all the pumps were 220 and after buying a new pump they said it wasn't really worth it, however I see in your link they have 110 now.

Looks like a good deal, but you can get a good octopus skimmer for around the same price.

Some swear by the Octos, like myself, others swear by the Bubble Magnus....from what I heard they are are very good skimmer.....for the price.

I've heard really bad things about the bubble magus. You could look into E-Shopps, they are pretty cheap and make some very decent skimmers.

Well, after reading the big thread about these on RC, I bit the bullet and got one. Here's some pics. It's already pulling up some nice dark skim, which confirms that my Red Sea Prizm Pro is nearly useless.
It came pretty well packaged, but if you're not used to Chinese to English instructions, it'd be mighty confusing deciphering what the hell they're saying. ("strictly prohibit pump operate without water." "Every product tested before leaving factory, so some water blob maybe leave on it. It's not used vestige and wouldn't affect use.")
016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

I'll post some gross skimmate pics when I got some :)
I did screw up last night and not check it at midnight, it overflowed a bit, filled up my 2 gal overflow skim bucket and wet the carpet a bit, but not too badly. Such a relaxing hobby this is, for those who make dumb mistakes like that haha.

more like 2 gallons of water with a little tinge of brown color. I had it set too high. It was fine when I went to bed at 9, when I got up at 4am, that much had come out. My homemade auto top off bucket was half empty (full the night I fired the skimmer up), and by morning it was missing around 2 gals, which was in the full skim bucket. Nice way to wake up when you're already rushing to get to work on time!

which confirms that my Red Sea Prizm Pro is nearly useless
Oh yeah, I thought my Prism was good till I upgraded to a CSS. I thought that was good till I upgraded to an Octo.

That looks real nice. Give it a week or so to break in and it will be stinking up the room. If you have it where people are always near, I suggest you get a mesh bag with carbon and drape it over the holes in the top of the collection cup. It keeps the stench down. ;)

where do you work that requires you to be up at 4am
Anywhere in sourthern california. Traffic out here is evil.:grumble:
If I leave after 5am, I'm not going anywhere for a long time. There's no such thing as living close to your job when you're in construction :frustrat:

Back