Aquareef 275 Cube

Sammydog

Reefing newb
Does anyone have any experience with these tanks?

I currently have a 90L (24 gallon) tank and am looking to upsize. I was looking at the Red Sea Max 130L but for a comparable price I can get the Aqua Reef 2ft cube (275L).

I kind of like the separate sump under the AquaReef and the lights can be removed to accommodate LED's in the future while that seems a little harder in the Red Sea.

Anyway, just after opinions, or would I be better custom building?

the red sea one looks like a complete system with built in filtration. Its a nice starter tank which you may outgrown. Its not much of an upgrade from what you have in terms of capacity.

The Aquareef cubes look very nice. More work to set up (drilled vs. overflow), sump, return pumps. We don't get Aquaone stuff in N. America (at least not that i'm aware of).

Custom is expensive and you really need a builder you can trust.

I'm looking into the options of going custom and I really would prefer that, but it seems in this area for price I won't be able to compete with the Aquareef.

That tank seems to have some pretty good reviews, not without its issues, but you would get that building your own and there is plenty of info on resolving the common issues.

I want to go with the 70cm (27") cube as it fits my planned space perfectly. There are plenty of tanks around that size that would be perfect for going custom, but once I factor in sump, pumps, skimmer and cabinet the cost blows out way past the plug and play. Still looking at the custom though as I plan to ditch the stock lights if I go down that path.

Looking to buy in the end of august so I will post progress shots of whatever I end up with.

Lights wise, by the end of the year I will buy either a set of Illumagic Blaze LED's or Ecotech Radion's. Until then my current lights would suffice for the cube.

After a bit more research I am going to go with a custom 3x2x2 tank with a sump a bit over 2ft. The sump will have 4 chambers, one being the refugium.

Going to take a bit longer to get together than going with the plug and play set up as I need to sort lights for the bigger tank. Sitting on the fence between Illumagic Blaze LEDS or 2 sets of Ecotech Radions.

Will most likely get the tank built in the short term to get it running using my two sets of 2ft PC's across the tank for lighting. Then at the end of the year put on the LEDS when I have the cash and have decided which way to go.

Back