Aries85's RSM 35

Well we tried again today to settle the rocks in place how we went them put to no success. We are going to try again tomorrow and however they set thats how they are going to end up. On a side note our damn heater broke. Damn thing cracked right in half. No it was not out of the water and it was fully submerged. I don't know if it banged against the sides or what. Hopefully the temp wont drop down that much. Also today I looked it in it and see this thing attached to one of the rocks. Its the little brown thing on the rocks in the pic. It was not there yesterday and if it was I did not see it. Can anyone give me an idea as to what it is?

103_0849.jpg

Its aiptasia anemone.You'll want to kill that pretty quick or they'll take over your tank.
Like Biff suggested in another post,Make a paste out of some salt and water then smear the paste on the anemone.

Yeah. Aiptasia is a huge pest. Kill it ASAP. They will endanger your corals and fish if you don't take care of them before they start spreading. Take the rock out, and smother it with a thick salt paste and let it sit for a while before rinsing off the salt.

Sorry to hear about your heater. How are you going to replace it? Wasn't it built in?

It was not built it but it just came with the tank. I called the place where we bought it and they said that they would replace it for me since its only about 2 days old. Kind of pissed that it broke but things happen, and it was resolved quickly so not so ticked off about it. We are more ticked off that we can't get our rock the way we want it.

So what kind of salt are we talking about? I remember reading that post. Just have to find it.

Thanks Biff. Thats what I thought you ment just wanted to make sure.

Now should it be hot water I mix it with or just normal tempature? Also, what do I spred it on? Do I spred it on the opening or Aiptasia it self?

Just mix it with room temperature water. The aiptasia will retract so you won't be able to see it. So smother the area that the aiptasia is at.

Biff's magic mix there defiantly worked very well for that Aiptasia. I spread it on and let it sit for about 30mins or so and I rinsed it off and off he fell. Finally got our rock the way we want it. Pics to follow in a little.

Quick question should we throw a piece of shrimp in there to help cycle the tank, or just stay with the LR?

If you got your rock online,Then you wont need to toss in the shrimp.But if you got it local,then use the shrimp.

Here are the pics from yesterday. We finally got the tank setup how we want it. Now we just have to wait for it to cycle.

103_0853.jpg

Rocks look great, hows your gut feeling on the RSM so far?

Thanks. Its ok if you need to have everything compact and tucked together. I know one big factor for us was the size constraints we had so that was a big factor for us. It was easy to setup and its probably ok for someone starting out. I know you just have to so your research before hand and figure out what is going. Overall besides my heater breaking I would say its ok, and would probably recommend it for someone who is starting out and it comes with everything you need. Well so far it has. The only thing we need to add is a Korellia to the right hand side.

So I have been testing my water quaility and just be sure I was getting the right readings I took a water sample to the LFS and this is what I found out. One good thing is his readings matched mine.
Ammonia = 0
Nitrate = 10-50ppm
Nitrite = >1ppm
Salinity = 1.024
Ph=8.4

So according to the gentleman down at my LFS we are in the middle of our cycle, and he suggested doing a small water change so we did about a 3 gallon water change (10%). So I have a question that I forgot to ask down at the store. Should we be expecting an algae bloom or does that not always happen after an inital cycle?

Don't do a water change until the cycle is complete(0 ammonia,0 nitrite).

I disagree with Biff,you have a 99.99999998% of getting an algae bloom.

Well we had an algae bloom on Monday. I noticed it when I woke up. It was a brownish colored algae so I would guess its diatom algae. We scrubbed most of it off and then siphoned it up. Our water parameters have been holding steady for the past week or so:

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10ppm
Ph:8.4

I had the LFS test the water and they got the same thing so the store told me we could begin stocking it that day. I told him we were going to hold off till the end of the week. Now my question to you all is would it be safe to begin stocking it by this weekend? The system is only about 13 days old, but if everything holds it should be ok right? With this algae bloom would that mean the cycle is complete then? Also, I did not check it today but what is a sure fire to get ride of this algae and the green algae that starting to form? We have a CuC of 6 Crabs,6 Nas Snails, 6 Turbos, and I am trying to keep up with it too. Any ideas or comments?

I think that's a good sized cleaning crew for now. In the beginning, there isn't going to be much you can do about algae blooms -- they are normal for a newly cycled tank. Diatoms especially, they will come and go, and the more mature your tank gets, the less often you will see diatom outbreaks. As for the green algae, your turbo snails should take care of that. It should start to go away on its own within the next couple weeks, if it doesn't, then you can look at other options.

What kind of water are you using (tap, RODI, bottled)?

I think it's safe to get a fish or two.

Back