Back in the game, 72g bowfront reef

Cleaning crew is in. Liveaquaria has a great deal for a "Build Your Own Reef Cleaner Kit". If you get $60 worth of stuff you get free overnight shipping. For $60.20 (including shipping!) I was able to get:

[FONT=&quot]Pincushion Urchin
Emerald Crab x2
Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab x11
Brittle Sea Star x2
Banded Coral Shrimp
Nassarius Snail x5
Mexican Turbo Snail x5
Porcelain Crab x2[/FONT]

They went in Monday. Then Wednesday I picked up a Fiji Bicolor Foxface, a Percula Clown, and a Green Bubble-tipped Anemone. I could not have predicted how great the foxface has been dealing with any algae I had. It looked like I was getting a few strands of either caulerpa or hair algae... within 12 hours of the foxface being in there all of it was gone. I'm just waiting for the clown to start hosting the anemone... he's circling around it alot but has yet to "settle in". The frags in there atm are Rhodactis, Galaxia, Zoas, and an Acan.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wPWrVr8qFU"]YouTube - Reef tank 4/29/11[/ame]

Yay look what I woke up to today. Now I need to make sure he's feeding it as well.

perculahosting2.jpg

Last edited:
let me know how the anemone does in your tank, yours is a little newer than mine so if it does fine in yours, it'll encourage me to get one sooner than a year! tanks looking great btw

let me know how the anemone does in your tank, yours is a little newer than mine so if it does fine in yours, it'll encourage me to get one sooner than a year! tanks looking great btw

He's doing great thus far. He loves this stuff too, but now I gotta train this damn clown to feed him for me.

Attachments

• 2011-05-02_15-06-31_502.jpg
    2011-05-02_15-06-31_502.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 295
My pincushion urchin has become a bit of a diva... Why do they feel the need to pick up random stuff and wear it as a hat?

Attachments

• 2011-05-13_18-21-15_447.jpg
    2011-05-13_18-21-15_447.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 2011-05-13_18-22-56_525.jpg
    2011-05-13_18-22-56_525.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 288
You have the exact same tank, sump, and stand that I did. When I looked at your first few pictures, I thought you bought my entire setup from the guy I sold to. lol.

I think I've tried to fit the 20g tank at the bottom as a sump. The length is good, but I believe I tried and couldn't find a way to put it in due to the size of the openings.

You have the exact same tank, sump, and stand that I did. When I looked at your first few pictures, I thought you bought my entire setup from the guy I sold to. lol.

I think I've tried to fit the 20g tank at the bottom as a sump. The length is good, but I believe I tried and couldn't find a way to put it in due to the size of the openings.

If 1st you don't succeed, try again. If you still fail, buy a saw. Indeed, that 20g tank refused to make it's way in there on it's own, so I was forced to do a little modification. I sawed out the middle piece of wood, installed my homemade do-it-yourself for less than $100 refugium (with live sand, live rock, and chaeto), and then replaced [read: wedged] that center divider back into place to reinforce the front. So far I'm happy with the setup except my tank is cloudy as hell, but that should be clear by morning.

removed the brace with water in the display tank? Braaaave move. I think mine would have crashed and flooded my apartment along with the neigherbors below :\

removed the brace with water in the display tank? Braaaave move. I think mine would have crashed and flooded my apartment along with the neigherbors below :\

Yea, I was thinking the same thing.

I had the same stand. By looking at the middle support beam, I've already wonder how it can support the 72g above. Saw it out?! I wasn't going to risk it.

Back