Back in the game, 72g bowfront reef

Yea, I was thinking the same thing.

I had the same stand. By looking at the middle support beam, I've already wonder how it can support the 72g above. Saw it out?! I wasn't going to risk it.

It crossed my mind that I might lose the whole thing but I've seen other set ups with only 1 center support so I felt somewhat confident I would lose the whole thing. I did notice that when I close the doors back up it was a little tighter than normal so I'm gonna have to sand the bottom of 1 of the doors so that the door closes smoothly and cleanly again. I guess I said I put so much time and effort into making this refugium from scratch that I said the hell with it, I AM fitting this thing in here 1 way or another...

ouchy! It doesn't sound good. Just imagine the stand get wet a little... and then the weight of the tank pressing it everyday and it bends a little bit more and more.

i had to put my sump tank in before setting my display tank ontop.. if i had to redo my sump, you better believe i would drain it and move the display tank first.... Dont trust 800lbs of water rock and sand sitting above my head while i work below the tank... not happenennnn

ouchy! It doesn't sound good. Just imagine the stand get wet a little... and then the weight of the tank pressing it everyday and it bends a little bit more and more.

I replaced the wood piece I cot out and screwed steel braces onto the sides to reinforce it. I was going to put a hinge in the there but when I noticed that the weight of it made it hard to replace the piece I took out I decided to re-brace the front with the original piece.

All is well, but the front IS about 1/8th of an inch lower now so the cabinet doors are a bitch to open and close, hence I'm going to have to do some sanding this weekend.

I felt home improvementy and decided to tap my inner man and fix thing thing proper. I bought a jack that raises up to 16,000 lbs a max of 3', I also bought new wood and elbow braces for the new support.

A little sawing here, a little sanding there. Viola! After raising the tank 4", I inserted the wood brace, lowered the tank and screwed in the supports. I also felt the doors were a tad aesthetically challenged, so I decided to put in door knobs. Now all I have to do is buy some paint and I'm good as new!

Attachments

• 2011-05-27_11-02-03_614.jpg
    2011-05-27_11-02-03_614.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 2011-05-27_11-02-26_112.jpg
    2011-05-27_11-02-26_112.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 2011-05-27_11-02-50_561.jpg
    2011-05-27_11-02-50_561.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 293
Good Job! glad to see you fixed it the right way, id hate to have read about a crash, and by crash i mean your tank crashing into the floor :(

Yea i gotta admit, you got some big balls to do something like that....looks like everything did turn out well for you tho. Good job!

Thanks. I think I've leveled off with what I'm going to add to the tank. So far I'm housing:

Percula Clown
Magnificent Foxface
Blue Hippo Tang
Black Domino Damsel
Bullet Goby
Green Bubble-tip Anemone
Pincushion Urchin
2 Brittlestars
2 Porcelain Crabs

Green Frogspawn
Stylophora
Zooanthids
Green Mushroom
Yuma Ricordea
Rhodactis
Galaxea
Blue/Orange Acan

Now everything just needs t grow and spread out.

I just want to say to everyone who lives in Florida, screw you guys! I was visiting parents in Tampa and stopped off at a LFS... Stuff is 30-50% cheaper than NYC prices. I even saw a green brittlestar fish who was probably (tip to tip) 8" in diameter with a body the size of a damn silver dollar for $15. That same specimen would be $30+ in the city.

Adult Perculas were $17, Blue Hippo Tangs were $30 for 4" adults... ugh! So damn frustrating (especially since I moved from Orlando in 2005).

I think someone bit off more than they can chew...

Attachments

• 2011-07-15_00-09-39_490.jpg
    2011-07-15_00-09-39_490.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 328
  • 2011-07-15_00-09-49_78.jpg
    2011-07-15_00-09-49_78.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 314
Back