Bad Clown

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I have a Black Clownfish as well as a True Percula Clown, they have been in the same tank for a little over 2 months and got a long great, they imediatly became a pair when I introduced them. But now the tables have turned the Percula has become severly aggresive towards the Black Clown nipping at his fins, there is a scar to prove it. So I removed the Perc and put him in plastic bag to issolate the two, I was worried the Perc would hurt the Black Clown while I was gone. So 4 hours later I put the Perc back in the tank and within 30 min the Perc was chasing him around again. The Perc is now in my 10 gallon tank for now until I decide what to do tommarow. At least I know my Black Clown will be safe overnight, poor little guy.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

I would hit him over the nose with a news paper everytime he nips at the black clown. Its hard too keep two clowns in the same tank unless you introduce them at the same time. You may just have too keep them in seperate tanks or find a new home for one of them. BTW my girlfriend will take that black clown off your hands if you dont want it....lol

I won't be getting rid of the Black Clown, the Perc will have to be the one to go. But I really want to have two clownfish in my tank. Maybe two Blacks? Not sure right now, I will have to do some more research on pairing clowns.

You can try another black, but anytime a new one introduced there is a chance of a teritory fight, thats why they say introduce together. It can be done though it just might mean more work. Some way are taking the old one out when you get the new one and introduce them together, but before you add them rearange your rock work so the older one wont have the spot he called home anymore and wont fight for it.

clowns are very territorial..even with the same species...theres some luck involved when introducing them in a reef aquarium..i have a tomato and a sebae..they dont botther each other..the only thing is that one stays at one side, the other, the other side..is kinda they respect the others territory...i agree with bobby on the rock rearrengment..be carefull cause somtimes that triggers a new cycle..choose wisely and good luck

I have never heard of moving your rock around to cause a new cycle. Just dont take it out of water or out of water too long to cause dieoff.

Yep, moving your rock can start a minicycle because all the crap that gets trapped in and underneath it gets released into the water column.

My tomatos fight every once and a while and they get over it..Kinda like being married..If there is one trying to hold its ground and actaully fight thats a diffrent story but one will usaully be the aggressor and the other will back down from the fight, and turn to its side.. One is trying to Display its dominance..Most of the time mine only do that during feeding time.. My female kicks his ... anytime he tries to come to the front of the tank..Normally when I stick my hand in , she will attack my hand..If the tanks big enough for another fish try adding another fish and then remove...Maybe it will remind them whos who (maybe a damsal) they are too fast for them to catch..Just my :twocents: It will also add stress to the tank tho..Downside

Last edited:
..If the tanks big enough for another fish try adding another fish and then remove...Maybe it will remind them whos who (maybe a damsal) they are too fast for them to catch.
You couldn't pay me to add a damsel to my tank... there freaking TN inbred fish... lol. My clown will eat food out of my daughters and mine hands... I love that little guy. He is super aggressive to wards anything in my tank.

I like the ones you dont see everyday..
dleed2tdamsel_400.jpg

Thats a great looking damsel cryptic. Is he aggressive? You can get some that are not really aggressive. I had two one blue devil and a sargent mayjor. The bule devil lived up to his name and was mean, but the mayjor was only mean once and I still have him.

Actaully , The pic isnt mine but I had one like him , until my tank was laced with ick(killer tomatos chassed him most the time)..Fish store scored on that one..I just cut my losses and went fishless for the past 8 and half weeks..Havent decided what I gonna get next something more rarley seen in local fish stores , or maybe just corals..Funny how they say reef friendly when they still will pick at Lps corals for the food feed to them(at least they dont eat then tho)..I think I may be more partical to the Juv Jewled damsel very nice colors , to bad they dont stay this way..
marinedepotlive_1955_4943303.gif

Wow! I have never seen one of those either. If you get one you deffinetly got to show some pics. What color do they turn.

Adults - are far less attractive sadly...Brown overall with less of the bluespots and a bright yellow tail...This fish isnt one that I would suggest for a smaller tanks becase it reachs over 8 inches in length..They are known to be aggressive Both I believe..

Last edited:
Well, there are back together. The Orange Clown is still being a little aggresive and I am watching closely. If anything gets out of hand he will be removed FOREVER, haha. I have always wanted to be a referee:bounce:

I will keep you updated.

Well, I pulled the little bastard out. He was starting to make flesh wounds. Back to the fish store he goes.

Would it be better to try and add another black clown?

Yes you did the right thing if your wanting to keep the black one. If you add another black and things start getting bad, try a time out for the old one to let the new one get used to its new home, rearange the rock work, and you could also try keeping the tank dark for a day or two. When I added a new clown thing got a little bad so I wraped the tank with towels to keep it real dark that way they would'nt fight and the new one could have a little time to get used to the tank and after I removed the towels they didnt fight but one made sure she was boss and got along great after that. Good luck and keep us posted on what you do.

Back