Battle of the Bristleworms

yea, thats what i was thinking, and my sump is starting to develope a layer of skum on the bottom... all my readings are spot on perfect (as far as i can measure/tell) for now, its almost like its just a layer of dust that has setteled down there, my sump is glass bottomed, no substrate, thats in the fuge and the DT...

so i'm thinking that they might clean up in the sump some, but i'm worried about them getting sucked into the skimmer pump or something and messing that up, or even getting sucked into the return pump, chopped up, and fed to the fish in the DT....

I'm generally pro-bristleworm. Worms are important and I'm sure you've got them. I was kind of pissed when I started this and my tank is over-run with the beasts. When I feed my horses all the rocks turn pink and wiggly. I've got my ponies in a 26 gallon with a lot of rocks and macro-algae. They spend a lot of time fishing in those rocks and they can get stung so I'm trying to remove the "scary big" worms. If I had regular fish I wouldn't worry.

Catherine

"When you discover worms in your aquarium, please do not be alarmed or reactionary Case in point, the sight of a common segmented worm with just a few bristles on it is enough to send many aquarists with just a little bit of knowledge and a whole lot of fear in search of a flame-thrower and napalm despenser. We ask you to pause in such cases and put down the military hardware. Noxious bristleworms, if indeed that's what you have and fear, are not only overstated as "bad guys"... But they are tremendously beneficial for the living substrate! They have an un-deservedly bad reputation mainly from the true bearded fireworm (hermodice carunculata) from days long ago when fireworms were common in trade with wild live rock out if florida and the carribean. But that wild rock has been illegal to collect since 1997. Other than immature (1-3 year aged) aquaculture rock from the reigon... Little wild substrate and very few of the real "bad worms" even make it to the hobby anymore. Arguments too that bristleworms can grow to plague populations are skewed by the omission that such plagues need fuel to grow- only in neglected or overfed tanks will you see these worms flourish to nuisance levels. Like many organisms in the reef aquarium, due diligence and husbandry is necissary to keep these and most other organisms in a balance that benefits the system. Its another friendly reminder of the importance of identifying and understanding the animals in out charge always before reacting. Expelling unknown marine worms from the aquarium is not a matter of "better safe than sorry" when the group is overwhelmingly helpful and harmless"

This is a quote from Anthony Calfo and Robert Fenner "reef invertebrates-an essential guide to selection, care and compatibility."

Catherine I know you may understand this, I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea from this thread, as there are tons of really new people here. I still reccomend keeping them but its your tank. They are harmless to healthy animals. Consider a sixline wrasse over a arrow crab, they eat bristleworms and keep a good balance. Mine does a good job in my 180 and that's huge for him. I wish he would actually eat less.

Alexander,

I am generally pro-bristleworm. Unfortunately, in the keeping of seahorses, those guys spend a lot of time crawling around on the rocks and they are oblivious to the worms because their main focus is on "fishing" for pods. More than once I've had a worm put a nasty spot on my ponies and I'm tired of it. When I feed my horses my rocks turn pink and wiggly. In my non-horse tanks the worms are welcome in my pony tank, I've got to figure out another way to do the job of the worms and the bugger's gotta go!

C

Back