Be Afraid, POTMers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my god, I figured it out! So much thanks to Dennis, putty, Ryan, Catherine, Tanked and others who spent time instructing me and helping me figure out these settings. I've got the custom white balance right, I've got the shutter speed right, I've got the ISO right, I've got the flash off, and the pictures that I took actually look great!!!

Now I have to spend some time taking "real shots" instead of practice shots, so I can post some pics!!

WOOOOHOOOOO!

Well I'm using it in "S" mode. I have my white balance set on Fluorescent 7* (I had to go into the color chart in settings and move the cursor around the chart until it looked correct), ISO is set to 800 and shutter speed is 1/160. Those settings seem to be working great for my tank. Maybe you can start with those and tweak them a bit for your tank?

You can probably even lower your shutterspeed down to 1/100. Maybe.
This will close down your aperture a bit and give you a tad more depth of focus if you need it. You may not want it though.

Congrats! :D

wow. I have the same camera too. reading this thread showed me a lot. I picked up 2 books today. 1 specific to the d5000. Im glad to hear you got it, I will have to catch up to your expert level now :)

I'm glad this could help! I am going out book shopping this week. Wanted to go today, but other errands got in the way :grumble:.

Sterling Publishing | Book: Magic Lantern | 978-1-60059-618-6

This book will walk you through what every button on your camera can do... it will give you a few tips as well... I get one for every camera I have, something about the way they write camera manuals are written they are so hard to read and I have a degree in photography I should be able to read it!!! I never really look at the one that comes with the camera.

But Dennis is right learn the basics and you will be fine...

I actually got this book, it seems to break things down pretty well although I havent gotten too far into it.

stop being assholes and let her enjoy her new camera!
its a great camera so youll enjoy it regardless of how much you paid or what extras you get with it.. youll get some kick-ass pictures of your tank and blow these guys away. :) enjoy!
be sure to turn the resolution down a tad though otherwise the files will be too big for this site... but when your just taking personal pics turn it all the way up... i only have the D40 and it on RAW or FINE quality is breathtaking.. it also has a great macro function for that. if you cant zoom as far as you want... youll be able to after the picture is taken...
ENJOY!!!

haha not all of you at the end inquiring about the camera sorry about that i meant the few people who were saying things like "LOOK I PAID THREE DOLLARS LESS FOR THE SAME CAMERA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA IM SO FAR SUPERIOR TO YOU!!!"....
those assholes hah

Has anyone actually seen this camera, or it's magical pictures? Might this be just another imaginary Tucson item? :dunno:

Here is the pic I took of my blue clove polyps. The real challenge awaiting me at the moment is that I haven't cleaned my glass off in a week!

100.jpg

How do we know you didn't Google and download that pic? Go to a mirror, and take a pic of yourself :mrgreen:

That sounds like a challenge! It was my goal to clean off my glass, among other things today. So far, I've given the dogs a bath, cleaned the cat room, and put on one door, so I'm working my way down the list quite successfully! And it's only 1:30!

That sounds like a challenge! It was my goal to clean off my glass, among other things today. So far, I've given the dogs a bath, cleaned the cat room, and put on one door, so I'm working my way down the list quite successfully! And it's only 1:30!

HA! Do you actually think I would step up and throw down a challenge? :question:

You? Never!

I just cleaned off my glass. And got two more doors done! Woohoo. So now I've got to wait for all my corals to become un-pissed and open up again. Then it's photo time.

You? Never!

I just cleaned off my glass. And got two more doors done! Woohoo. So now I've got to wait for all my corals to become un-pissed and open up again. Then it's photo time.

LMAO, why on earth would your corals be pissed at you?:grumble:

LMAO, why on earth would your corals be pissed at you?:grumble:

My corals always close up when I clean the glass. They don't do that for you? I guess it's because there's all this algae flying around the tank. It takes them a couple hours to come out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back