Biff's 90 Gallon Downgrade

Biff, your tank is what most people (even those who haven't seen your pics) imagine when they hear the phrase "salt water aquarium".
I also find it amazing how much work those of us with big tanks are willing to do so that we can be lazy ;P

Green striped shrooms

051.jpg

BIIIFFF!!! OMG!! Thats....thats gorgeous!!! O_O

hey biff, how long did it take these to grow like that!! how many polyps did this start with!? i have some of these! hoping they multiply lol

Ohhh okay so an update.

When my ex fiance and I broke up in June, he had nowhere to live (I own the house). He also had no money. So I let him stay at the house, and I moved out for about 3 or 4 months. (I still paid all the bills at the house to allow him to save up his money so he could get a place of his own).

During that time, he was taking care of all the pets (they stayed at the house obviously), including the tank.

Well, he doesn't really know how to take care of a tank. But I honestly had more important things on my plate, so things started to slip. I ended up getting rid of 99% of the corals, because they were just going to die without any attention. I kept the rocks and the fish, and that's where my tank is at now.

I have a ton of store credit from stuff that I brought in, and am planning on taking down the tank over the next couple months. I already have a friend that said he'd buy it and almost everything that comes with it. I also found homes for almost all my fish.

I plan on using that store credit to buy Parrotchute a few boxes of nice things from my LFS to thank him for sending me his corals a couple years ago before he went to Iraq.

The tricky thing is finding the time and energy to take down the tank. I was only taken off of bed rest by my doctor a week ago, and still am feeling pretty crappy. But this is a project that needs to get done soon, because I just don't have the time and energy to deal with an aquarium right now, and I certainly won't when the baby comes. And my tank is plumbed through the living room wall, and all the equipment is in the room behind the living room -- and god, I could really use that space now!

I will be sad to take down my tank -- I've had most of my fish for 11 or 12 years now, and I'm very attached to them. But I'm so busy working full time, and working on my (third) master's at the same time (which takes up most of my evenings and all of my weekends), now with a *surprise* baby on the way, something has to give. I'm not going to quit my job, I'm not going to quit school, so the tank has to go.

And hopefully some of my four hundred and sixty seven pets will die nice, natural, peaceful deaths between now and August as well, because gosh it would be nice to have a more simple life right about now!! :rofl:

It's not like I can just get rid of my pets -- they are my family and I love them, and I've had them all a long time. But two dogs, six cats and two guinea pigs are a lot of work. So I'm just saying... If the big man in the sky thinks it's some of their time to go, I will be sad, but at the same time, relieved. :mrgreen:

I thought for sure my ancient cat BK was about to kick the bucket two weeks ago. He has been old and sick for a while, and has been on meds for arthritis and hyperthyroidism for years, and he was just going downhill. So I took him to the vet, and he gets put on antibiotics, and lo and behold, good as new four days later, hahaha! Don't get me wrong -- I'm happy he's okay. But five cats and a newborn sounds much better than six cats and a newborn. ;)

Aw man I didn't know about this whole story with your (now ex) Biff. Getting rid of a well established tank sucks butt, and I wish I could give you a hand, but obviously that's not possible.

I had to sell my 90g to a guy whose tanks I take care of, and I was seriously upset when I was moving it. Like way more than I expected to be upset. I moved away from my mom though and couldn't afford the tank on top of all my new bills, so it had to happen. I do still get to see my tank at least though, just not every morning :(

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with this tank moving and, more importantly, your baby.

Aww this is such a sad update! Congrats on the baby! I'm so sorry to hear about all the rest tho! maybe after you have the baby you can set up a nano tank. Much more managable Haha. But in the meantime we still love you advice and knowledge here!

: ( this is sad news indeed. But for some reason I know you'll be back. Maybe not in a 90 but years down the road when things settle down a bit you'll be back with a small bio cube. Imagine 5-6 years from now. Im sure technology will have come light years and maintaining a tank won't be as task consuming. Best wishes with the baby Sarah. I know first hand babies change lives. :) * hugs *

Back