Biff's Seahorse Tank

Question: Now that it's filled with water, I notice that the tank isn't level. It's about 1/4-inch off from one side to the other.

A) does this matter?
and
B) if it does, what do I do?

That's beautiful rockwork Biff! That tank looks great.

(I posted in your other thread; you'll have to shim the stand (not the tank) and you'll most likely have to drain it. Unless there's a way to pound or wedge a shim under the stand, with it being full.)

It really looks nice Sarah! Can't wait to see it filled up with life.

If you want to level it I suggest you draining out about 1/2 the water or more and then having NDB lift the stand up a little and you can wedge cardboard, wooden wedge, etc to level it off. If all else fails keep draining until its light enough to pick up. Good luck!

Last edited:
Here's the seahorse you need:

firered_1.jpg

Fire Red - $850.00 : Ocean Rider, Inc., Giant Truly Tropical Farm Raised Sea Horses - Home of the Famous Ocean Rider Mustang and Ocean Rider Sunburst Sea Horses

If you want to level it I suggest you draining out about 1/2 the water or more and then having NDB lift the stand up a little and you can wedge cardboard, wooden wedge, etc to level it off. If all else fails keep draining until its light enough to pick up. Good luck!

Thanks. I think that's what we will do. I'm not really comfortable with it being so off.

That looks awesome, Sarah. Is that black sand I see in there?

Yep, black sand.

I wish! It's beautiful!

Biff, your wall looks amazing! I've got the perfect suggestion for all those nooks and crannies in your rocks!

<head> <title>Macro Algae : Your Source For Quality Marine Plants and Macroalgae

Order the Codium. 2 of them. I've got a bunch and it is fabulous for a few reasons. First, the horses can "hitch" onto it easily eliminating them from grabbing the rocks with their tail. Also, it is pod paradise. The branches are well spaced so the horses can get their snouts in to suck up pods. It is perfect! This stuff is very slow growing so you'll want a double order. The shipping is reasonable.

Your tank is going to be so awesome!

C

Thanks Cath! I ordered about 10 different types of macro from reefcleaners. I'll see how those fit in. I'm not sure if codium is one of them that I ordered -- I'll check when I get home!

If I can make a commercial here about where to buy your seahorses....

The only two horse breeders I recommend are Seahorse Source, the ultimate place for captive bred seahorses. and Seahorse.com - Seahorse, Sea Life, Marine Life, Aquafarm Sales, Feeds and Accessories - Home. The reason I recommend them are that they have extremely dedicated staffs that will do whatever it takes to be sure your horses are going to a good and appropriate home. Liveaquaria obtains their horses from private sellers and while they do have an arrive alive guarantee they are not able to support their products. I got my first two horses from liveaquaria. I asked for a girl and a boy and got two girls. When I called about the mix-up I was told from Liveaquaria that sexing horses is "hit or miss." Sexing a seahorse is extremely simple and there is really no excuse for the mix-up. Second, one of the horses I got wouldn't eat frozen mysis. I tried everything in the world to get her to eat frozen but she never would. I suspect she was wild caught. Many of you know the miseries I had that year trying to supply enough live pods for her! Ordering from your LFS is not a good idea unless you know where the horses are coming from and you are guaranteed a worm free, frozen food eating horse.

When you order from Seahorse Source OR Seahorse.com you have access to enthusiastic seahorse experts that have dedicated their lives to researching these wonderful animals.

Catherine

Thanks Cath! I ordered about 10 different types of macro from reefcleaners. I'll see how those fit in. I'm not sure if codium is one of them that I ordered -- I'll check when I get home!

Reefcleaners has been out of codium for a while. Remind me and I'll send you some, I've got tons. When your order comes in, shoot me a list of what you got and I can give you tips about where to place them in your tank. They will have different light and flow requirements.

C

Back