Biffy Finally Gets a Build Thread!

Go for the stronger ones - then go on Ebay and buy your own lunar lights. They are inexpensive on there...

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the T5s. I thought of running them on the sump/fuge, but then thought, "Nah, that's kinda overkill". Why, are you interested in buying them?

I caught that joke yote ,it was funny!
rotfl.gif

Biff can you put a little more excitement in your pics.How about doing it with duct tape across your chest,please!With all the hair algae in the the 55,its fuge ready.

Okay, I'll try to look more animated for today's pics. But sorry, wearing clothes, not duct tape.

I'm going to get a new sea hare when I move those algae covered rocks into the new tank (Jessica, RIP, got sucked into a powerhead during my second to last vacation, if you recall). And there should be no nitrates or phosphates in the new tank once I get the whole thing filled up. That algae will be GONE in no time!

Out of curiosity,how are you going to do the transition from the 55 to the 240?
I'm still trying to figure that one out for myself.I was thinking of running my 75 for a month before transferring the stuff.What would you do in my case,Ms. Expert?

Hmmm I've been thinking about that a lot too. Here's my plan:

I am going to move all my rock, corals and fish over to rubbermaid tubs, with new water in the tubs. I'm going to drain the old tank, saving the old water in another rubbermaid tub. Move the 55 out of the way, and move the 240 into its place. It would be much easier if the 240 was going in a different location! I'm using the 55 as a sump, and it needs to be placed through the top of the 240 stand, so I'll have to empty and clean the 55 completely, silicone in the baffles, and get the sump put together immediately. That should take a day for the silicone to cure.

The next day: Now this is my chance to get rid of that damn crushed coral I started with! Fill the 240 with aragonite, add the old water to the 240, and fill it up with as much new water is needed. Then move all my rock, coral, and fish into the 240. HOPEFULLY a cycle won't start! I don't really see why it would, except maybe for having new sand and so much new water. I am planning on getting a lot more live rock, but I will probably have to add new rock slowly over time to avoid having another cycle.

I figure my corals and fish will be fine in a rubbermaid tub for two days without any lights and only a heater and powerhead. So if I can get this switch over done in a couple days, I think that'll be okay. It all depends on how quickly I can turn my 55 into a sump, since that needs to be placed into the stand before I can put anything into the 240. In the meantime, the livestock will just have to chill in a tub.

You got more nerve than I have Biff.
I make the ole lady shut the bedroom door ( tanks in there) before she even mops the floor,just to keep the smell of cleaning products away from the tank.

Getting it looking good though.

I didn't have a choice, Yote! It's not like I could carry the 240 out into the yard, paint it, then carry it back. All the fish are okay today. You know, besides them being black ;).

Your plan was my original plan.I figured my 80lbs of sand from the 75g. and 200lbs. more sand was gonna cause another cycle.

Sorry I was late,I'm getting wet today.
woot.gif

I like this build. IF you are looking at selling the T-5s id be more than happy to take 'em off your hands. Im gonna take a break from reading though, i gotta go to work! IF you dont want to sell it, at least dole out some of the algae that grows.. lol for a price if you wish of course

Brendan, I would be more than willing to give you some chaetomorpha for free. I have a ton of that. And you can have my hair algae for free too if you want that!

have you thought about doing foam on the back glass and painting it black? i have seen a tank done that way and it was awesome! if i ever do a big tank i may try that. i saw one at the zoo a couple months ago where the back was done in cement. that looked awsome too. especially when corals are mounted on it.

Yeah all the display tanks at my LFS have spray-applied foam on the back. I'm not going to do that, I just like the plain black back better.

Congradulations on the new tank:Cheers:But where are you going to get all the money to stock that beast? Possibly look into selling crack:mrgreen:

Good call on the black backround, you will love it.

One thing, since cut into that stand, will that be able to support the weight of the tank? Maybe you should concider re-inforcing the stand with some 2x4's?? Just a thought.

Back