bio balls vs liverock for wetdry

FocasSRT10

Reefing newb
I have heard it is bad to use bioballs in a wet/dry filter. and live rock being better ?

is this true. should I take out my bioballs in my new tank, it's empty just liverock in it so far & do nano rubble in the filter ?

ok, so LR is better in sumps I have been reading about. just like the issue you have said.

I'll get some tomorrow and take the bioballs out. thanks

ok hold on. I have been using wet dry filters for a long time now with fresh and saltwater tanks and i have never once had a nitrate issue. but i do have a mix of bio balls and live rock. ok yes i know everyone here thinks wet dry is a bad filter. but i love mine and i have never had a nitrates after the tank has cyckled.
with my wet dry system i have it to were any and all food of debre is clear of the system and collects in my "cleaning zone" to be cleaned up with a small gravel vac. the food i use is a sinking pellet food so i dont mess with flake at all withch is a big help. i do not use frozen cubes. i hatch my brine, miesis, and pods.
There are ways around it so you dont have the nitrate problem.

Bioballs are fine as long as you rinse them out regularly. If you don't, then you will eventually have nitrate issues since the gunk stays in the water column. But imo, it's just one more unnecessary thing you have to do to the tank. The skimmer would do a better job by taking the gunk OUT of the water column altogether, and requires less work.

I agree, with the amount of work already needed to maintain a saltwater reef there is no reason to add extra to it and bioballs do lead to more work..

ok but i have made mine so it has a high amount of flow so it will rinse off any and all gunk that will build up on bio balls than collect in a spot for me to just use a garv vac and clean it up.

I have a skimmer, not in the sump but HOB. have the aqua C. I keep getting mixed comments about this madder from a lot of people.

kinda wonder is it worth to spend money on live rock or just keep the balls in there. I have a dual overflow box, it moves some water into the sump, so liverock would def get some water moving over it, plus isn't live rock LIVE so would trapped food or whatever be taken care of by what lives in the rocks, oppose to bioballs being just that. not living at all.

thats how I see it. 1 is alive and the other is not. in my JBJ I have had rings in that tank for 3 + years now. really without much worries at all.

ok but i have made mine so it has a high amount of flow so it will rinse off any and all gunk that will build up on bio balls than collect in a spot for me to just use a garv vac and clean it up.

Still just extra work. But if it works for you, nothing wrong with it. That set up is specifically for your setup. It won't necessarily be feasible in others'. Again, nothing wrong with it...just an extra step and extra hassle when the skimmer works just as well, if not better.

+1 marcha...just get dry rubble. It will become live in no time.

Listen to these guys I did it after running mine for 15 years and junk everywhere. Sump is spotless now and no junk accumulating. Will probably throw base rock in later but not concerned now and I will go with the dry rock, Save the money for fish!

Back