BL1's 75g upgrade

Other than the HA, it looks good! Why was the algae scrubber squirting everywhere? :(

I'm not really sure why, it started squirting from the edges of the screen where it slid into the pipe about 2 months ago. So I rebuilt the whole scrubber from scratch using a larger slotted pipe and that one only worked for about 2 weeks before it started doing the same thing. My entire cabinet is covered in salt creep from the splashing, so I finally decided to call it quits on the scrubber.
It's ashame because when it was working, I had great results.

So, it's been 5 days since adding the new skimmer and so far I'm very happy with it. My tank also seems to be liking it, the polyp extension on my corals has never looked so good.

Bluezoasextension.jpg

EagleEyezoasextension.jpg

Greenzoasextension.jpg

BL, don't call it quits on the scrubber - the reason it was squirting was because the algae was growing into the slots. To fix it, just make a small shade with tape or plastic-binder material about an inch high to stop light from hitting the top portion. That should take care of it!

The green zoas look great!

Brian, as always your corals are stunning! Are they getting great growth?

They were getting great growth, it slowed down considerably since the power outage though. My tanks just starting to come back from that mess.

Wow, all your zoas have such long lashes -- did they come that way when you bought them, or do they grow long in your tank?

Nope, originally they looked about 1/3 of that length, they've only gotten this long in the past week. I think they look so much nicer now.

BL, don't call it quits on the scrubber - the reason it was squirting was because the algae was growing into the slots. To fix it, just make a small shade with tape or plastic-binder material about an inch high to stop light from hitting the top portion. That should take care of it!

The green zoas look great!

It too late, the scrubbers been gone for a while now. I had almost the whole scrubber surrounded by clear document protectors and it was still squirting water everywhere. There's so much salt creep under my stand from it now. And the aquirting wasn't from salt creep, it was happeneing even when the slotted pipe and screen were completely clean. I'm totally convinced that the scrubber worked great, it was just way too much work to maintain and my new skimmer is just a beast and much easier to keep clean.

So everyone, the tank move went well. Everyone seems to be doing well, except for one colony of zoas and one brain colony. It's viewable from three sides now and divides my kitchen and living room, so I've got 3 FTS shots now :)

Living room view
LR23AugFTS.jpg

Kitchen view
Kitchen23AugFTS.jpg

Side view
23AugSideShot2.jpg

Do you have much problems with heat with those halides? Caus I really like the shimmer effect but I don't want my tank getting hot an my mother won't want me heating up the house in the middle of the summer.

Do you have much problems with heat with those halides? Caus I really like the shimmer effect but I don't want my tank getting hot an my mother won't want me heating up the house in the middle of the summer.
I have no heat issues running the MH on my tank. My MH run for 10 hours a day and my temp never moves from 79.

And do you find it hard to fit the 48" light on your 48" tank like mentioned in some of the reviews?
I have the 2010 model odyessa lights, that was before they changed the legs to the ones that don't fit right. My lights sits perfectly on my tank.

Back