Blazk's 250L Tank 50L Sump Lots of pics

blazk

Reefing newb
This would be be 2nd reef tank as my old 2ft was getting to small for my blue tang and tomato clown. So i took the plunge and bought a 2nd hand 4ft with cabinet i picked up complete with heaters, canister filter etc etc for $300 AUS. They had it setup for freshwater so i had to get a few other things as ill show you further on.

Here is a pic of the tank when i first bought it home. Yukky background don't you agree.
tank.jpg

I put in the weir, painted the background, transferred the maxi-jet 1200 power head i had in my old tank over, put in the live sand, added the salt water mix and purchansed a 4ft octopus horizon lighting system.
after.JPG

Weir
weir.JPG

weir2.JPG

I was still waiting on my sump to be built and the parts to come in so in the mean time i used the canister filter which worked surprisingly well.

filter.jpg

Was time to add in the first 15kg of live rock and get the cycle started.

lf1.JPG

Finally got my sump, octopus nw-110 vortex skimmer and Resun KING-4F return pump. Plumbed it all up and away it goes.

sumprhs.JPG

skimmer.JPG

Time to add the 2nd lot of 15kg of live rock then the fish from my old tank. The fish i transferred over were: Blue Tang, Ocellaris Clown, Tomato Clown, Valentine Puffer a bunch of hermit crabs and a few turbo snails. Also decided to put an additional Rio 8F power head in for added flow.

lhs.JPG

rhs.JPG

fishes.JPG

Here is the full view of tank and sump

fullpic.JPG

As you can see up the top was my DIY cooling system. I couldnt afford a chiller and it does get quite warm in Australia eg 35-40 degrees celcius in summer. The tank was already starting to push close to 27-28 degrees so i came up with this:

diyfans.JPG

It comprises of 4 x 120mm computer fans with individual switches (not in view) that allows me to turn them on and off as the temperature gets warmer. All up for the perspex fans bits and pieces was around $30. Might i say does the job beautifully.

Hope you enjoyed my tank, there is still more to come in the following months when i start adding corals, fish etc. Stay tuned :) and thanks for reading.

now this is a nice build thread. Glad we have you from the beginning. So are fish cheaper in AUS than in the US?

Thats a great looking set up.I really like the way those rimless tanks look.
But you need to pull that airline off your power head.Those bubbles are just gonna cause a bunch of salt creep.

I was pretty dumb when it came to power heads. When i went to get my rio power head i said "so do you have to run these flat out?" the shop guy looked at me and said "yes, why what have you got on your other maxi-jet" "a venturi" i replied he looked kind dazed and said to me "pull that s**t off" so i did :D.

Fish are fairly expensive i think around here, i need to find a wholesaler or something as i think fish here are WAY over priced. Eg. pair of Clowns $90+, Blue Tangs sit around the $45-$85 mark depending on size. All my live rock and "clean up crew" came from this place: http://aussieaquariumcorals.com.au they are awsome to work with as they deliver pretty much next day shipping and are fairly cheap for premium live rock and live stock, as well as offering grantee live delivery. So if something dies on the way over, take a photo and send it to them and they will send another. Stores sell premium live rock for $25 a kilo (2.2 lb). Half the rock looks and feels awful as well, so i went to those guys.

Thanks for all the nice remarks and replies, greatly appreciated. This forum is by far the friendliest and a great helpful community ive come across. Thank fos having me :)

Latest addition to the Blazk tank. Not quite sure exactly what TYPE of starfish he is, but its an algae eater that is for sure. Think it is a Pauciform Sea Star, but im probably mistaken, very close though. Any thoughts guys and gals ?

starfish.JPG

Go my 5 legged friend seek and destroy that brown algae.

Last edited:
Looking good mate!

Sorry,I had to get you back for giving us Crocodile Dundee.But hey,you did give us Nicole Kidman,Hugh Jackman[I think] and one of my favorite songs of all time.....''Land Down Under''.

yes nicole and hugh are both from here. Russell crow is from new zealand just to cover that :).

Can anyone identify that star fish for me :D ??

Ryan - Batteries are on charge for the camera, ill take one of the starfish tomorrow.
Alexander - thanks mate

Yes it is a Marble star i had a thread and it got identified, it loves to hump my glass magnet scraper. Horny little bugga.

According to my Mrs I am really anal about cleaning the aquarium glass.. I only do it 2-3 times max....a day.

Back