Bought live rock, now I need some ID's please

Yes, that sounds like him. Thank you.

So, would a peanut worm feed on the shrimp after it was dead? Would he be a CUC? Poor Shrimp was pulled between 2 rocks. Guess I'll have to look around for another culprit.:grumble:

Last edited:
Re: Ok, so here he/she is.

So for identification I thought I would try to get a shot and wouldn't you know it I think he/she gave me a smile ;-). Soo, what do you guys think peanut worm?
Is there another name they would go by?

Attachments

• Peanutworm.jpg
    Peanutworm.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 347
  • Peanutworm2.jpg
    Peanutworm2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 287
  • peanutworm3.jpg
    peanutworm3.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 253
  • peanutworm4.jpg
    peanutworm4.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 300
A few more pics.
The first is hard to pic. It's a white cone with some firm bristles/tenacles sticking out of the mouth. I have no clue as to what this one could be and can't seem to get a good shot of it either.

The second is a little nausaurius:question: type snail. They are tiny I think I have 2 running around. The snorkle is black in color.

And the third (when we picked it up) and fourth (2 months later) pics are of the zoa's:question:. I was pretty sure these were what I have.

Oh, also one that has no pic. Looks like a mouth in the center with some dots surrounding the mouth. The dots spread out with the lights on. Noticed a few. Can't even get a shot.

Thanks again everyone :bowdown:

Attachments

• zoanthid2months.jpg
    zoanthid2months.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 321
  • Zoanthidbaby.jpg
    Zoanthidbaby.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 243
  • Naussariusblackwhite.jpg
    Naussariusblackwhite.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 239
  • mysterycone.jpg
    mysterycone.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 246
The first pic looks to be a q-tip sponge (good) in front of an aiptasia (bad).

Second is a bumblebee snail. Some say they're good, some say they will eat corals; I have some in my tank and have never had a problem with them.

The 'mystery critter' sounds like a ball anemone (good).

Yay, I got some good stuff. Oh, that aiptasia survived the first round of aiptasia X. But not the second round.

Um, just noticed a couple red bubbles. Could those be a different bubble algae? Do they come in different colors? The last I had was more of a dark green almost black.

Could this be the start of some Cotton Candy algae? It looks like it has a clear funnel in the center.

Attachments

• cottoncandyalgae.jpg
    cottoncandyalgae.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 368
Well, I was able to get a picture of an anemone:question: maybe. It was able to get hold of a rather large piece of krill that made it to the bottom of the tank. Not sure what it is, but have a few of them on the rocks. This is the largest I have seen them get.

Attachments

• Anemonie.jpg
    Anemonie.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 343
That's a ball anemone. They are reef safe and cool little hitch hikers. Unfortunately, they normally don't live long in our tanks. I have a couple that have been around for several years, but most of the ones I see come and go.

I have a few of these around. No real rhyme or reason as to where they grow. The rock in the pic has 6+ on it (center of the tank) and I have some growing under the rocks in the back. I guess lighting doesn't really matter with these?
Glad they are one of the good guys :)

Back