Buddy's180 Reef Upgrade

Got a little bit more done with the canopy, need to make one final trip to the hardware store to get the remaining lumber for the faceplate. I thought I was done yesterday but noooooo; came up short on measurements.

Majority of it is complete, built the frame and attached the top and side pieces. will finish it up with the front facing and then build some doors :)

IMG_1250_zps73a53e18.jpg

IMG_1252_zps493388d9.jpg

IMG_1254_zps9b504bce.jpg

Thought I'd go ahead and add more photos of the build and its progress. I finally managed to find the time to work on it and build the doors. To continue the last update, I went to the hardware store the next day and bought some more lumber to build the faceplate. I built it the same way as I did with the stand but of course different measurements. I also attached the 3/4" plywood to the top of the stand and cut holes on the back left and right corners for the overflows... No need for a photo there but here is where I left off:

IMG_1259_zps2869c10d.jpg

fastened the faceplate to the canopy
IMG_1260_zps36da94dd.jpg

and of course I had to set it on top of the aquarium to ensure it fit :)
IMG_1261_zps7c6a570f.jpg

Next I built the doors, would have been easier to do if I had access to a router but unfortunately I didnt so I used the table saw again and cut a 1/4 dado into the door edges. I then cut a sheet of 1/4" finished birch plywood to size which fit into these slots. I assembled 3 sides of the door using pocket holes like I did with the stand and previous facings and attached the final 4th side thus making the door. There will be a small hole with both sides on the top and bottom of these doors which came from the slot cut to hold the plywood door front. I used a natural color wood putty to fill these holes as well as the holes left from the nail gun. These doors have a half inch overlay on all 4 sides. This is because I planned to use European hinges for a simple, hidden hinge look. I used a 35mm boring drill bit to do so which can be found at most hardware stores. If you attempt to build a cabinet yourself, make sure to not drill through the face on the other side; would be a costly mistake! Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of this step but its pretty easy, if not, you can buy the drill bit in a kit and I'm sure it will come with instructions. P.S. These hinges are wayyy cheaper online. But anywho; I mounted the doors to everything and stood it all side by side to give you a comparison. Would be nice if I had a friend over to help me lift the tank up onto the stand but that will come another day. The cabinets, stand, tank, and canopy will stand at exactly 96" which is equivalent to 8ft. It will give me an in-wall look but in an entertainment fashion.

IMG_1340_zps9c881933.jpg

Takes up lots of room in the garage!
IMG_1339_zpse2ebfd9c.jpg

I still have to decide whether or not I'm going to paint it white or stain it with a pickled wash stain. I also have to decide on what kind of crown molding I plan to use soo in a sense: to be continued. :shock:

Looks great. Personally, I enjoy the look of wood (pine especially :), as long as it doesn't have knot holes lol :p), so I'd go with the stain. It will still fit in relatively well with your theme seeing as it will be white, and, like someone else said (forgot the name), if you change your mind later, it's not all that difficult to paint it (though it can be time consuming to do it correctly ;)). Can't wait to see the tank up and running, subscribed :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Still alive and kicking, no huge cliffs to worry about near me.

Update (please excuse the iphone 3s photos:shock:): Stand and Canopy is finished. I added the crown molding and trim to the stand as seen in photo. Really cant explain how to cut the molding via text so its something you will have to google if anyone attempts to do it...Miter saw is needed to do so unless you have a hand held coping saw (much harder). Here is a photo of it with molding installed. you will see the canopy in the back as well.

As for finish, I chose to go with the whitewash pickled look. My ole lady said we had enough white in the living room and if I painted this white, it would be to much. She was right, plus the wood was to pretty to cover which brings me to the next point and mainly why it has taken so long to update/finish. We bought minwax's white wash pickling stain and I was thoroughly disappointed with the results. It went on like paint, not stain and covered the grain. I realized I paid to much money overall for the grain to be hidden so I decided to try and remove it. Like I had assumed, it covered just like paint would and came off with paint stripper, something that wouldn't phase an actual stain as it seeps into the pores of the wood but the minwax junk layered on top. So after many days in the heat, piece by piece, I removed all of it and re-sanded everything. Unfortunately I had painted every piece top to bottom with the stuff. Lesson learned, try things on samples and be patient. With that being said, I created my own whitewash. I diluted kilz primer with water to create a milky substance which covered very well and dried quickly. As for a ratio, about 1 cup of paint to 5 cups of water well mixed. The end results turned out great after 3 coats.

Once I "Stained" all pieces and allowed them to thoroughly dry; I then painted the inside of the stand and canopy with kilz primer which will help with the moister as well as providing a nice clean surface that will reflect light where it needs to be (i.e. canopy) which took 2 coats. Lastly, I sealed everything inside and out with a poly acrylic cover. This will help keep moisture out of the wood and gives it a nice smooth finish. I used semi gloss inside the stand and canopy and clear satin for the outside sides that are visible. Since then, everything has been moved inside and set in place. Heres some follow up photos:

Doors off:

Doors on:

Now I have to wait for the electrician to come install a separate 20 amp and gfi outlet for the tank. I do not want to compete for electricity with everything else in the living room and want to ensure there is plenty of wattage available for the aquarium. I have cut the outlet hole in the wall and ran the line for it but prefer not to open the breaker panel to install the breaker without having someone experienced here to help.

Once that is in place, I will begin building the sump and ordering the lights so stay tuned!

Another update coming soon. Got some goodies in the other day, waiting for the others to arrive before posting photos. Meanwhile, I need to come up with a background color. Any suggestions? I have a royal blue color on the 75. Want something that will make everything stand out and colors pop.

Back