Buying Live rock and Cycling questions.

buddy08

SPS Addict
Im about to purhcase live rock but am stuck on which kind to get, I will go off your best recommendation base on these 2 i have selected. this is going in a 75g newly setup aquarium.

100lbs of Fiji Premium "Tukani" Live Rock 50lb. Box Includes Shipping

or

70lbs of https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=393+2391&pcatid=2391
and 45lbs of https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=393+2392&pcatid=2392

as for cycling, how does this process work in a saltwater aquarium? I know it takes time ( a lot of time...) but what is the best way to go about doing so once i add the liverock and water.

what is die off? Im aiming to get the best value for my dollar without breaking the bank. that website is roughly 200 more than what id like to spend and the package deal is unwanted creatures. Esp. the donkey dung cucumber.. Lol

The reason the rock is "live" is because it has bacteria on it that will break down the fish wastes and convert it to something that is less toxic.

If you really want to save money, you should buy most of your rock dry (which is tons cheaper) and then only a few pounds of live rock. The bacteria will spread and the rest of your rock will be live in no time. You will experience some sort of a cycle this way, but its tons cheaper.

Here is a great place to get dry rock from:
Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available, base rock, live rock, reef rock, marco rock, reef tank saltwater fish, live corals, Marco rocks, Fiji live rock, Tonga Live rock

Try to get ocean based rock because it will dissolve over time, keeping your water parameters more stable. Stay away from lava rocks and anything that could leach metals in to the water (highly toxic) and if you buy rock from one, be sure that they never used copper. If there is copper in the rocks from treating some disease, you will never be able to keep inverts because copper is toxic to them in tiny amount

Go to TBS like little fish said.

here is a pic of my Dry and Live Rock from here.

https://www.livingreefs.com/my-tampa-bay-saltwater-package-t31885.html

The best ever on both accounts. Same or better than Marco.

Just email Richard and see what he can do for you. He helped me out and I am sure he will do the same for you.

He was awesome trust me.

Tell him Danny sent you or I can email him and tell him I sent you or whatever so he can help you with what you can afford.

If you buy live rock from those place you listed i can almost garuntee you that you are going to have a cycle. How they ship that stuff causes lots of die off. TBS actually ships their stuff in water so you will have only a small cycle, if you have one at all

Yes just check my link. It shows you the way it was packed in water.

I even have some that show the rock in the water and that bag was in another bag of water.

Just check it out.

Its a lot more than just bacteria that dies in shipping it could be coral,nems,alage,sponges. Just anything that is on the rock tbs ships there rock in water so you save most of the good things on the rock. The others you linked to are fine but you will have a cycle there is nothing wrong with that it just gives you more time to think about what you want to do with your tank

It's way cheaper to get a couple pieces of Live Rock and then buy some Dry Rock to cut back on the expense. The Dry Rock will eventually become seeded and turn into Live Rock :)

How long does it normally take for the dry rock to become live? and does this increase the process of adding things like corals and fish? If so how long? Im still soaking up alot of info with this new hobby. My other post kind of got lost and hasnt had much feedback after tank setup.

this was my previous post.https://www.livingreefs.com/newbie-please-help-t31273.html

But from what im gathering here, It looks like ill be talking to richard. Ive been recommended to his site on more than one occasion. Big key now is funds. I broke my cichlid aquarium as stated in link above and thought i had all the necessary equipment to start a reef tank... then i decided to replace eveeeeerything and built a brand new canopy to go with it. I'll have to post a picture tomorrow, i must say i outdid myself and this tank is becoming more of a "pride" thing than a hobby :)

It takes several months for dry rock to become live. It's not a fast process. Tampa Bay rock is expensive, it's true. So if you can't afford it, there are other places that have cheaper live rock, like Live Aquaria and Salty Critter. Those places still have really good rock and are fine to order from.

Cycling the tank typically takes 3 to 4 weeks.

Ok dude, I know every1 here will talk up TBS, and they DO have great product.

But I would recommend not getting live rock at all, or at least get mostly dry rock then add a few pieces of live after your cycle. Especially don't buy live rock and have it shipped to you(with exception of TBS) WASTE OF MONEY

REASON: Everything on that rock is likely to show up dead anyways and if not would die in the cycle. All live rock is is bacteria population on the rock that grow from decaying matter. Just put a piece of table shrimp in ur tank for a month and that will produce enough bacteria to cycle your tank ;)

I payed $200 when I was brand new for like 50lbs Fiji Premium and I have to say looking back, IT WAS THE WORST $200(or any money period) SPENT IN THIS HOBBY :( It arrived bleached and everything dead, all it was good for was being rock and had enough dead stuff to fully cycle my tank >_<

The reason TBS is an exception is that they send your stuff quick and in good shape usually in water or something to keep it "live". Also they do multiple shipments giving you base rock to start your cycle with then all the good "live" stuff comes in a later shipment. So it all doesn't die in your cycle. This much needed extra service comes with a price tag however. He does however have great reputation and gives lots of extras :D

I would just cycle your tank with some good looking Base rock and a decaying shrimp ;) Then look for Live Rock additions later on.
The best base rock hands down is Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available, base rock, live rock, reef rock, marco rock, reef tank saltwater fish, live corals, Marco rocks, Fiji live rock, Tonga Live rock

And lastly the best place to get the best quality live rock for your $$ is to keep an eye out on craigslist or local reefer forums for people tearing down their tanks. You can usually score some PREMIUM all purpled up live rock for $1-2 a lb. Just keep an eye out.

How long does it normally take for the dry rock to become live? and does this increase the process of adding things like corals and fish? If so how long? Im still soaking up alot of info with this new hobby. My other post kind of got lost and hasnt had much feedback after tank setup.

Big key now is funds. I broke my cichlid aquarium as stated in link above and thought i had all the necessary equipment to start a reef tank... then i decided to replace eveeeeerything and built a brand new canopy to go with it. I'll have to post a picture tomorrow, i must say i outdid myself and this tank is becoming more of a "pride" thing than a hobby :)

Most people don't fully understand what "live" rock is when starting out. Live rock is just rock that is seeded with healthy bacteria populations. Guess how fast bacteria populate!? >_<! (FAST appx. 2-4 weeks average to complete the full cycle, all 3 types of bacteria) Most people are hoping for the nice Purple Rock that's full of life. And truth be told that stuff is only gonna come with time and good water quality. Even if you were to get some into your tank that is that healthy, chances are most of it will die off in a new tank : /

Your in for spending a lot of money in this hobby, so if your on a budget its wise doing your research (as you are) and saving yourself some money so you can do more with it elsewhere whether it be getting the adequate equipment you need or some nice corals! :D

Good luck to ya hope we can help you out! :D

Keep us updated...

Me thinks TBS Dry rock is the equal to Marcos Dry Rocks. Look at my pix they look identical to Marcos and mine came from TBS.

I even asked about that to TBS but he said no. I thought he said they ones I had came from the Phillipines.

I got 80Dry and 80 Live.

Think Marcos is like 3.29 a pound for Dry Rock. TBS is like $1.85 Here is a link so you can see it against Marco. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1632368

Marcos is like $1.44 more a pound. Just putting that out there and it looks identical to me.

I will say that how can you say Marcos has the best Dry Rock hands down unless you have tried all of them? Especially at double TBS.

Just trying to be fair and additionally I can't say who has the best since I have not used all of them.

Last edited:
I have one guy on craigslist locally breaking down his aquarium and selling it as a whole. Im going to try and buy some of his live rock from him. He said he would consider it for a good offer. From the pics he sent me, its not much rock but he claims its roughly 100lbs. Its kind of hard to tell so i think Im gonna offer him $80 and then get some dry rock afterwards depending on how much the live rock actually weighs. Gonna try a few other sellers as well

I didn't mean to try and sell Marco rocks at all.... It just poped in my head as the best base rock, and I forgot to mention it was also pricey...

In fact that is rather insignificant to the point I was trying to make.

If I were to do it again myself I would either buy brand new porous base rock (like marco rocks) for their unique look, or just buy all my rocks from local hobbyists breaking down.

Just don't buy that $200 Fiji "ULTRA PREMIUM" Live Rock Like I did! >_<!
and have payed for bleached dead rock...

Back