Carbon question (searched w/ no luck...)

Jojo1628

Reefing newb
so I just built a refugium/sump using aquarium silicone after waiting for like 2-3 days for it to cure, i started to fill in water, but noticed there's a small patch of pink colored silicone after I added some sand/live rock where I jointed the acrylics together...just to be safe, I wanted to run some carbons to make sure there's nothing in the water...question is, I reused some kent reef carbon which was used only like a day before, when I flush it under water, I can stilll hear sizzling sound, so does that mean the carbon is till good to use? I know I shouldn't reuse carbons, but in this case, they were only used once for like a day...is this sizzling sound a good test to see if the carbon is still good?

If you only used it for a day the carbon should still be good. What you shouldn't do is reuse carbon that you have used for a month or 2. The idea is that you just can rinse the carbon and make it good again, which is not correct.

In my turtle tank I run carbon for about a month before it goes bad...and no one has seen a messy eater until they have watched two turtles eating. Lion fish got nothing on my turtles =)

I'm thinking along the same lines as Mud.I think your carbon is probably still good so might as well use it.

I agree, if it has only been used a day...its fine.

Although, have you heard it is best to bake it in an oven before reuse. It will kill off any bad bacteria that had accumulated as well as recharge it....

Just put it on a baking pan...lose is best, but if you have a pre filter....set that on the pan. And let bake like a cake till done!!!:D:mrgreen::D

Back