Changin over from fresh

It doesn't matter where you put the live rock.Most people will place the live on top of the dry rock or wherever it can get sufficient light.Coralline algae on the live rock will need light to grow and spread over to the dry.Little critters like brittle stars and pods when eventually populate the dry rocks too.

Ok UPDATE

Went to the LFS today again, anf got some more pricing. Im going to buy a lot locally, because then I have someone to cry on when i mess it up lol (you all are helping alot)

I will be building my own sump with fuge (75 gallon) to save me about 250 dollars (after the glass is in as well)

I will be using dry Marco Rocks, as recommended, which I can get up here in canada for about 2 bucks a pound if I pick them up (about 125 - 150 lbs to start). Then I will seed with live rock from the LFS (about 50 lbs or so) to get it moving along.

This should all be fairly soon, once I get the RO setup in the basement.

Just keeping you all in the loop

Going to be moving the africans over to the 75 gallon tomorrow so I can drain the 220. Then I need the guy to come in and drill it. I will do the overflows and all that. In a couple weeks, I will get the RO machine and some salt, so I can get the tank some water, and then i will get about 100 lbs of marco rock to start and get the cycle moving.

I remembered today that the 75 gallon I was going to use for the sump was does with "blue" to cure an ick issue. Can I still use that tank as a sump? Or better to sell it and get another tank instead (since Iwill have corals in the reef tank?!)

Methylene blue? That doesn't contain copper (and isn't effective against ich anyways). You can use it as a sump. The seams may be dyed though. Not that it matters if it's your sump.

Back