Chaos's First Salt 20g

Nice pics man, I use tests that are for SW and FW both, they are the cheapest.. I like the piece of LR with the hole in it, keep it propped so the fishies can swim thru it...:)

My lights are 130 watt PC's its the dual PC's with 460nm and 420nm actinic and 6500k and 10000k whites. Here are some more pics of this horrid infestation of diatoms and some new dry rock i bought.

2405708550093078603S600x600Q85.jpg

2734807830093078603S600x600Q85.jpg

2833568740093078603S600x600Q85.jpg

The scratches on the glass are starting to annoy me so much, thats what i get for buying a used tank LOL. Im really considering getting a 29g from the store, im gonna check prices tomorrow since im off work. Maybe the bigger tank will fill the gap i have between the two tanks also woohoo. On a side note, has anyone tried using that purple up stuff? I was thinking maybe it would help seed the dry rock.

I've used Purple Up, and I love it. Others have used it and not noticed a difference. Purple Up will not, however, seed your rock, as it does not actually contain coralline. It only contains the correct calcium and magnesium levels as well as ground up sand to promote coralline growth. If you want to seed your dry rock, you will need to get scrapings of coralline from an established tank, or add rock that already has good coralline growth on it.

Lol sorry i didnt mean directly seed the dry rock but assist what is on the live rock to grow around the tank and on the dry rock. Heh.

Use the money the purple up would cost on a fish or coral instead.
All you have to do to make coralline grow is keep your calcium and alkalinity up,give it a decent amount of light,and keep phosphates and nitrates down.
To get it grow,Keep calcium at 420 or a little higher and alkalinity around 12 to 14 DKH.Pick up a rock that has some good coralline on it,and once a day scrub it with a stiff bristled tooth brush.Before you know it,you'll be scraping it off the front glass.

To make it release from the rock. Once it starts to grow on the glass. Wha I do is shut off my wavemakers ad scrpe it off the glass let it settle on my rock then turn my wavemakers back on. Seems to help.

What kind of coral will my light sustain? Its 130watt pc's 460nm 420nm 6500k and 10000k. I am looking at a Ricordea Florida, and maybe an acan lord but i dont think i can house the lord without MH, i will probably be making a MH fixture if i buy that 29g tomorrow. But for now what can i house with my current light?

What kind of coral will my light sustain? Its 130watt pc's 460nm 420nm 6500k and 10000k. I am looking at a Ricordea Florida, and maybe an acan lord but i dont think i can house the lord without MH, i will probably be making a MH fixture if i buy that 29g tomorrow. But for now what can i house with my current light?

Soft corals and LPS will be your best bet.
Acan Lords and Rics will do fine under your lights.I would place the Acan mid level or higher.

So SPS is gonna be the kicker? Lol i kinda like sps but i think i like the softies a little better because they flow with the water.

Alright so my next question is when is it safe to add coraL? I wouldnt want to kill an acan lord.. lots o money wasted if i did. Lol yea from what i have seen freak you recently need the edit button to fix your run-on sentences.

Last edited:
Did some aquascaping, and found some nice purple and green algae on the bottom side of the big rock. And yea that rock stank to high heaven much worse than when i put it in.
2430980720093078603S600x600Q85.jpg

2920112810093078603S600x600Q85.jpg

Im thinking of buying the Red Sea Prizm Deluxe Protein Skimmer and i was wondering if anyone knew how well they work, is it junk or a good idea?

It's kind of a piece of junk. There are mods you can do to it to make it run better, but your money is better spent on a different skimmer. I used to have one, and it just doesn't work very well. If you are interested in buying it and making the modifications, PM Bobby, he knows all the DIY skimmer mods.

Back