Chaos's First Salt 20g

Alright can you suggest any others? Im most likely going up to a 29 gal tank so for around that size what are some good skimmers? What i liked about the prizm is that it was sort of a filter too and a surface skimmer is there any others that do this?

The Prizm isn't a filter or a surface skimmer. It draws water from a few inches below the water column. For a tank that size, a Coralife Super Skimmer would probably be a good choice. I also like the Octopus brand. Are you looking for a hang on skimmer or in sump? The best hang on skimmer is the Aqua C Remora Pro. They are pricey, and probably more than you need for a 29 gallon tank.

No offense to Biffmaster but there is really no need to spend big money for a skimmer on a 20g. or 29g.I actually think a Prizm will work well on a 29g.Its still compact enough to actually fit.

After the cycle is complete,I like to start with mushrooms and zoos then work up to other softies about a month later.After about 2 months then I move to LPS corals.I put plenty of periods in this time.(pat self on back)

No offense to Biffmaster but there is really no need to spend big money for a skimmer on a 20g. or 29g.I actually think a Prizm will work well on a 29g.Its still compact enough to actually fit.

That's why I said that if he goes with the Prizm, he should at least modify it so that it works a little better!

Lol thanks biff, it does make me look around and water quality is most important. On the prizm deluxe it says its a surface skimmer hmm lemme grab a link.

"Includes adjustable height surface skimmer, filtration media basket, and carbon."
here

I donno i have no experience so it helps to talk to people that have used it.

Ohhh that's the Prizm Pro Deluxe. I used to have just the regular old Prizm Deluxe, without the Pro. Dunno, maybe these ones are better than they used to be?

I think im gonna give that skimmer a try on my tank. Seems like it may be good. DANG! My fiddler crab hopped halfway up the glass and got my snail then took off runnin with it hope he doesnt kill him. Lol

Yeah the Prizm Pro deluxe comes with a surface skimmer.All it does is draw water from the surface where nutrients collect.Much better than pulling water deeper in the aquarium.

Ok, so skimmer is decided, now i need to decide if I want to upgrade to MH i have been reading that t5 lights can sustain the same as MH? If i do go with MH is it better to have flourescent actinics along with the mh or is just the mh fine?
Im looking at going with this fixture the 24" 150watt

Be aware of possible heat issues with MH.

That fixture will be plenty of light.You can go with or without actinics,the choice is really up to you.A 14k or 20k bulb will look better if you decide on not running any actinics with the MH.I say go with T5 with individual reflectors.My favorite are the Aquactinics TX5(5x24w) fixture.They really should give me commission for all the plugging I do on those lights.I must warn you,they do not come with bulbs and lunar lights.The hanging kit or tank risers are sold separately too.

Alright so t5s it is. I beleive i need a more efficient way of making turbulent water, my cheap powersweep seems to be failing it still pumps water but the sweeping is getting slower and even stopped yesterday for a minute. I was looking at maybe putting two koralias in and pointing them at eachother but that is ALOT of water flow maybe i do just need to make a sump.

A sump isn't going to help much with your water flow. Go with a couple good powerheads, the koralias are the best out there right now.

Those Power Sweeps aren't very good.Yes go with those Koralia circulation pumps.One or two of the nano or model one will work fine depending on how much flow you like.

I was looking around in my tank and there is alot of floating dead stuff on the rocks.... Was i suppose to scrub the rocks to remove the dead stuff? Lol quite a bit late on that number as its day 13

Scrubbing it will help keep the ammonia from spiking so high,But leaving it in will make it start the cycle a little quicker.

Ok, ill leave it alone then, i tested today and my cycle is complete YAY!! and i just found a 40 breeder on craigslist drilled for $30 hope he still has it lol.

Back