Chaos's First Salt 20g

Will my PC lights be enough light to keep a Xenia coral? Everywhere i have read says strong lighting so im guessing not but they are so cool.

Ugg, i am a doofuussss I wanted to quarantine 2 clownfish together so they would not fight in the DT I went to the store and got some amonnia detox and 10 hermits. I came home and went to acclimate and realized that my brand new heater for the quarantine STOPPED working the water was a cool 67*F so they got acclimated to the DT and my ammonia detox is reef safe so ill watch my ammonia but jeez that sucked. Ill get pics up later tonight. I love these fish so pretty and they are staying real close to eachother in the tank.

why are you using ammonia detox? you should never have to use that. thats the job of the biological filter. if you have ammonia then you're tank hasen't cycled, or you don't have anything for the bacteria to colonize, such as live rock and sand. but, since you have rock and sand, I would say that you're cycle isn't complete.

if you have cycled your tank completely, you should not have a spike of ammonia from adding fish. Nitrates may increase and phosphates, but if your filtration is adequate, you will have no problems

-Doc

Ok yea, i didnt have a spike but everything said to only add 1 fish every two weeks or something like that, but yea its fine, just hope one is'nt sick lol.

one fish a week is good to start. you can push it once your tank is more established.

-Doc

I know I'm way late here but, let me throw in my :twocents: on lighting. I have a 15 gal tall tank with a 70 watt clamp on (height adjustable) metal halide light on it. I have been very pleased with this lighting set-up. (Tank never gets over 80.5) I added a small 50/50 18 watt pc set up on it as well just to get a little more watts per gallon and a little more asthetics. BTW good luck with the hobby!:D

Alright just wanted to put up water params, i did a water change on the 15th before i added the fish, i did these tests tonight so 4 days in here ya go.

Ph 8.2
Ammonia less than 0 ppm
Nitrites less than 0 ppm
Nitrates 5 ppm
Alkalinity 6 dkh or 107.4 ppm
Calcium 460 ppm

everything look ok?

Forgot the pics lol.

2133938550093078603S600x600Q85.jpg

2145730610093078603S600x600Q85.jpg

dKh is is on the short side, especially if you want corals. Your alkalinity should target at about 10. All animals need some carcium and alk to keep healthy growth. I would test again in a few days and boost the amount of dKh.

-Doc

Seachem makes a purple labeled product called "Reef Carbonate" which raises Alkalinity. it comes in liquid and powder form. I recommend the liquid form as a beginner and graduate to the powder later on as it is easy to overdose your tank with the powder. Follow the directions and you should be fine.

I would not worry too much about it until you are looking to add corals. If you are using premium salt (reef crystals, oceanic, kent marine) it should have high levels of calcium, Alk and other trace elements. If you use a cheaper salt, the levels will be lower. Maybe check your salt? Also, take your water to the LFS and have them test it to get a second opinion before doing anything drastic.

-Doc

Back