charlie's 29g cube

charlieB

Reefing newb
Hey guys just took some pictures of my tank for the first time today, has been running for about a week now, no livestock in it yet. Will update with new pics (with hopefully a better camera) as things progress.

Tank1.jpg

Tank2.jpg

Tank3.jpg

Got some updated pics of the tank with a few things in it now. Currently there is 1 scooter blenny, 3 mexican turbos, 2 tiny reef hermits, and 3 electric blue hermits. The scooter spends most of his time floating around the front of the rocks sifting through the sand and seems to have picked a little overhang to sleep under at night (it's the small tunnel above him in the close-up pic). I am not sure yet if/when I'm going to have to replenish the population of pods in the tank or if the current population can sustain itself and his appetite. But I guess the good news is he is eating frequently. Sorry about the pic but when I turned on the actinic light it startled him and he kinda buried himself a little in the sand.

photo6.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo5.jpg

Thanks, I initially only got 1 of the blue hermits but he was such a beast on the algae that I went back today and added 2 more, they are incredibly active all over the rock I love watching them climb upside down on the outcrops and stuff. Next week sometime I am hoping to add my clowns, possibly just one, really depends what LFS has available. This week I will be adding a powerhead near the intake. Once all that is done I will be ordering a media basket and fuge basket from mediabaskets.com to replace the bioballs in chamber 2, and hopefully after all that I will be ready to add some corals. Will update with more pics in the following weeks/months!

The scooter blenny is going to blow through your pod population in two weeks tops. They eat thousands of them every day and a tank that size cannot sustain a population large enough to feed one unless it connect to a very large fuge. You need to get that scooter blenny eating frozen ASAP otherwise it going to be a slow, starving death for him.

Some updates to the tank, the scooter was moved to a 210 gal tank with a friend after a week of not eating any frozen foods. I rearranged all the LR and dumped the stock filter pad for filter floss, and added chemipure elite to chamber 2. Also added a couple small B/W ocellaris clowns. Got a couple pics but still don't have a decent camera:

photo10.jpg

photo9.jpg

They are doing great so far, they stay together everywhere and when they are swimming in places with really strong flow it looks like the smaller guy drafts behind the bigger one lol. At least this time they are eating!

So some bad news first, the 2 clowns both died a few days ago, 1 day apart. I had been testing everything in the water daily and was kind of confused by their death because nothing changed in the parameters but when I went back to LFS the other black and whites still in the store were also now looking sick and the guy said they had several from that shipment die. So, I got store credit for the 2 clowns and decided to get just 1 this time, a clarkii, and also got a long tentacle plate coral. Here's some pics of some of the new (and old) stuff.

The clarki has a cool extra white spot on the tip of its tail that none of the others had, it even has a nice black outline like the rest of its stripes:

photo20.jpg

Plate at night (I turned the lights on for 5 secs to take a picture after they had been off for 3 hours)

photo23.jpg

Plate at night #2:

photo22.jpg

Plate and GSP daytime:

photo19.jpg

Side view of the plate during the day:

photo16.jpg

Back