Cheap led light find

Reefkeepr

Reefing newb
Here's a way to get around the high priced lighting options for LEDs.

Costco is selling a led setup for $29.99. I picked one up but haven't put it on my tank yet. Here's the info...

It's a 6-tube, 72" product. Each LED tube has 6 LEDs. The individual tubes are connectable and there is a Bluetooth (I think) on/off switch that is battery powered and has an adhesive mount. The power supply (on a 6' or so cord) has a dimming feature so you can run it at full power during the day and dim it down to lunar levels at night.

You can power one 12" tube or you can link up to all six together end-to-end. Since the LEDs themselves are grouped in twos and spaced about 4" apart there would be no dark spots and illumination would be pretty even across the tank.

Anyways, I've been frustrated by the prices that I see for lunar LEDs on the web and this easily looks like the best deal going out there by far.

If you are looking for lunar LEDs, or just want to add some strong supplemental shimmer to your tank at a low price, be sure to check your local Costco to see if they are carrying this.

Sorry, I don't recall the brand name but can find it out if someone needs that information.

Here's a way to get around the high priced lighting options for LEDs.

Costco is selling a led setup for $29.99. I picked one up but haven't put it on my tank yet. Here's the info...

It's a 6-tube, 72" product. Each LED tube has 6 LEDs. The individual tubes are connectable and there is a Bluetooth (I think) on/off switch that is battery powered and has an adhesive mount. The power supply (on a 6' or so cord) has a dimming feature so you can run it at full power during the day and dim it down to lunar levels at night.

You can power one 12" tube or you can link up to all six together end-to-end. Since the LEDs themselves are grouped in twos and spaced about 4" apart there would be no dark spots and illumination would be pretty even across the tank.

Anyways, I've been frustrated by the prices that I see for lunar LEDs on the web and this easily looks like the best deal going out there by far.

If you are looking for lunar LEDs, or just want to add some strong supplemental shimmer to your tank at a low price, be sure to check your local Costco to see if they are carrying this.

Sorry, I don't recall the brand name but can find it out if someone needs that information.
could you post a pic of this product

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Here's a link to the exact same led light but it's on Amazon's page for $49.99. $20 more than what Costco is selling for the EXACT same thing.

Fight the price inflation of the aquarium lighting companies and consider this setup!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040UMHNE/ref=asc_df_B0040UMHNE1250036?smid=A30N2LHQ125S3D&tag=dealtmp5041-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B0040UMHNE]Amazon.com: Pelion Link Light LED Lighting System Remote Controlled 6 Feet of LED Lighting - Includes: 6 Light Bars w/ 36 LED's: Home Improvement[/ame]

"Document not found" :(

In any case, this lighting setup is not going to be able to support a reef tank. You will still be stuck either buying your lights from an aquarium lighting company or making your own.

I wasn't saying it will support a reef tank by itself, but it makes a darn good lunar light setup at a dimmed setting, and when it is running at full power it does definitely supplement my Nova Extreme Pro 6-bulb T5.

If the link is dead, go to Amazon.com and run a search for

Pelion Link Light LED Lighting System Remote Controlled 6 Feet of LED Lighting

Yes, it's not overwhelming, but it's noticeable. The biggest benefit of this is definitely as a lunar system.

Although it's gotten me thinking - - given that this is so thin, I wonder if 6-8 of these fixtures (with 4 tupes each) atop my 72g bowfront would be enough to support my reef tank entirely... that would be around $200 for a whizbang led setup.

You would have to measure the type of light that it puts out. Only certain types of light are useable by corals. PAR is a measurement of photosynthetically active radiation -- basically light that plants and corals can use for photosynthesis. If they are not the correct type of LED bulbs and don't put out a lot of PAR, then it doesn't matter how many of them you use, the corals won't be able to use that type of light.

It would be interesting to test them with a PAR meter.

Good point, Biffer, that is the only quantitative way to verify that this would support a reef on its own.

I was just daydreaming (albeit at 10:30pm) ha ha ha

It's okay, they may work.

I really want to buy a PAR meter. It seems people are always wanting to borrow one and test stuff out. I used to have one at work. I used it for my MS thesis project to measure canopy covers of different trees. I wish I still had it!

Cool Are you a forester in your day job?

I started out as one with the Forest Service, not doing that any more, but there are days that I sure miss being in the woods!

Forester? Hahahaha. No! I'm not an outdoorsy kinda gal unless it's for fun! I HATE field work. I'm an environmental scientist, but I deal mainly with hazardous materials. I have degrees in biology and environmental science, so I've put in the time when it comes to grueling long hours out in horrible weather doing field work! I'm past that point! No more field work for me, if I can help it.

Field work is something I still relish, although I don't get out anywhere near as much as I like to in my current job and I certainly don't tolerate the elements as much as I used to when I was in grad school myself.

These days I saw "screw it, I'm coming back when the temp gets ABOVE -10F" - - it is Montana after all.

:)

Field work is something I still relish, although I don't get out anywhere near as much as I like to in my current job and I certainly don't tolerate the elements as much as I used to when I was in grad school myself.

These days I saw "screw it, I'm coming back when the temp gets ABOVE -10F" - - it is Montana after all.

:)

I shiver when its less than 90F and 95% humidity.

See it's the opposite here. I did my MS in environmental science thesis fieldwork in Cibola National Wildlife Refuge along the CA-AZ border. Which has some of the hottest recorded temperatures in the US. I'd usually be out there for about 1 week out of every month collecting data and stuff.

I would complain and bitch. And NDB would call me a wuss and not believe me about how hot it was. So I started making him come with me. The first trip I brought him out there, I recorded temps of 135 IN THE SHADE. He took pics of the thermometer to show people because he knew they wouldn't believe him. The worst part is, it's right along the Lower Colorado River. So it's not even a dry heat! It's humid as hell!!!

Horrible. Awful. Never again.

I just ran down to Costco and they looked at me like I was an idiot. They don't have it at my store. Can't check online at work either since that is a "shopping site". Dang.

It isn't on the Costco website. Found them on Amazon. Those are not lunar lights. Am I crazy or did the original post say lunar lights?

Last edited:
Back