chiller info?

godeeporgohome123

Reefing newb
Okay so i have my fish tank in my garage... this is because i did not want the tank in the house to avoid flooding on the nice wood floor which only leaves upstairs and i didnt want it up there for no one to see.. i have all my reptiles in my garage so the tank fits in.. and this is where i spend most of my time tending to my little friends... but i live in santa clarita CA i dont know if any of you have been to six flaggs i live next to it and it gets HOTT and i mean hot like atleast 100 degrees everyday for atleast june/july my question is with this kind of heat would it be smart to buy a chiller for a bigger tank then just one for 40 gal?

Is your garage air conditioned?
One thing to remember about chillers.They produce as much heat in the room as there pulling from the tank.You can get the idea of what I'm saying by holing your hand over the outdoor fan of your AC unit.The heat you feel is what its pulling from the air inside.That IMO is counterproductive.

Yote is right. You have to have a way to vent the room if you are using a chiller, since it will cool the tank, but by doing so, releases the heat into its surroundings instead, making the room hotter.

So if you can't vent the chiller it is a waste?

Pretty much.
If your heating the room the tanks in,then its going to heat the tank also.So the chiller has to run all the time to keep up,which just causes more heat.Its a never ending cycle.

An A/C window unit beside your tank with a high wattage heater to counter-balance may only cost you under $100.

get a couple clipon fans and have them bloe across the water it will cool the tank better than you think it will

Clip on fans can drop your tank temp by 10+ degrees. At least, that's how much cooler my two $7 clip on fans keep my tank.

without fans my tank runs about 85 with two fans on my sump the temp never reaches 80 it stays about 78 all day and night

What about noise? Is there any way to keep them quiet? Brand or type? I have done alot to keep my tank quiet and I would like to keep it that way.

Back