Choosing fish for new tank(dream team)

Joneskirby

Reefing newb
Ok I have a 90 gal tank with live rock and a ton of filtration. I am writing down all the fish I would love to have in do time in this tank. I would like to turn this into a reef tank as experience grows. Already have everything ready for that. Please help me narrow this dwn w ur suggestions.
NASO TANG
YELLOW TANG
BLUE TANG
BLUEJAW TRIGGER
NIGER TRIGGER
EMPEROR ANGELFISH
FLAME ANGEL
COPPERBAND BUTTERFLY

Please give me ur wisdom !

Ok I have a 90 gal tank with live rock and a ton of filtration. I am writing down all the fish I would love to have in do time in this tank. I would like to turn this into a reef tank as experience grows. Already have everything ready for that. Please help me narrow this dwn w ur suggestions.
NASO TANG
YELLOW TANG
BLUE TANG
BLUEJAW TRIGGER
NIGER TRIGGER
EMPEROR ANGELFISH
FLAME ANGEL
COPPERBAND BUTTERFLY

Please give me ur wisdom !

I hate to burst your bubble, but most of those fish are too large for a 90 gallon, and the rest aren't usually reef safe. The exception to that is the Flame Angel, which is supposed to be about 50/50 on whether it will eat your corals, and will certainly fit in a 90 gallon!

So there, that narrows it down, doesn't it?:D Good luck!

With certain wrasses, you'll be limited to only one in your tank ... Ones like the six-line, mystery, four-line, and scott's wrasses are examples.

+1 BL! I'm also a big fan of my Royal Gramma, but it doesn't swim all over the tank like my 6 Line. It's fairly stationary, but it has a funny personality and is very curious about who's on the other side of the glass.

Some of those fish I had on my list said 75 gal up for size and I plan on having fowler tank for now. Is there a reason most of the fish suggested are really small ? I didnt plan on putting all of them in. Just wanted a cool variety. Head hurts lol

Yes, dont put all of those fish in your tank. I was just trying to give you some idea of the other cool fish out there.
I know you weren't suggesting all of them, just thought I'd throw it out there though.
Some of those fish I had on my list said 75 gal up for size and I plan on having fowler tank for now. Is there a reason most of the fish suggested are really small ? I didnt plan on putting all of them in. Just wanted a cool variety. Head hurts lol
Unfortunately a lot of times sites that have recommended sizes suggest smaller tanks then they should (don't forget those sites are trying to sell you things) for the fishes well being.

It sucks doesn't it? We all have a few fish that we think of when we think saltwater tank and then you realize that some of these need hundreds of gallons. BUT, once you start looking at some of those fish that Little Fish suggested you'll realize how unique and fun they all are. A lot of them are probably more fun to watch than a boring ol' tang or butterfly since they have little personalities and do different stuff than just swim around. Like some of them perch on rocks, dig in the sand, make burrows to sleep in every night...
Try looking at some of the suggested species on youtube or searching on here so you can see videos of them in action and read how much the owners enjoy their antics.
Good luck and let us know what you decide on!

Ok ok I give in. This is probably why so many tanks flop. Because of aggressive people like me lol. Let's build the coolest 90 gal live rock future reef system with my money. I'll start
2 CLOWN FISH (nobody can mad about clown fish ha)

I'm researching of a 90 also. Clowns are a good start, unless....... You are looking at the Maroon or Tomato clown. Both are pretty aggressive and not the best for a starter tank or novice. I would love a Maroon clown, but they are simply not going to fit into my plan or experience level.

Who thought selecting fish would be a tough part. So many different opinions. One says yes one says no. A lot of variables. I'm hoping the forum will help with all the experience out their. I'm loving the experience and education. Pretty cool developing an ocean!

Ya, other than a pair of clowns, i dont have any of the fish i originally wanted to get! But im really happy with the fish i do have, and i love the make up of my tank. You will too! It hard to look at a picture and see the personality of the fish like Sarah said, so we tend to chose the fish that look really flashy. But then you get into the fish that at first didnt seem like much at first and find they have awesome personalities! Like my chromis, they look kinda boring, but they are probably my favorite fish in the tank. They dart everywhere, bait and switch with the clowns and they are always the last out of bed in the morning! And then there is my cardinal, who is kinda the old man of the tank, but if you go sit by tank he will come hang out by you.

Back