Clownfish: Can they live alone?

fishyrobbie

Reefing newb
I had a pair of either ocellaris or percula clowns, one of them died which looking back on it may have been the female beating up the male.

But for a couple months now I've had the single female as the only fish in the 24 gallon tank with mushrooms and toadstools.

Can she live happily alone or should i get her a companion? She's ~ two years old and 2.5 inches long.

Clowns dont have to be kept in pairs. She will be fine alone which leaves you the opportunity to add a different fish.

I've only seen a handful of instances where clowns have been by themselves, to me they just don't seem as perky or 'clownlike' (if that makes sense)

I bought two clown fish and about 2 weeks in the tank, one of the clowns decided to commit suicide. The other one is living with my other fish. I'm afraid to get another one due to dominance issues. Any thoughts?

See the thing is if you have two clowns they will fight, thats how they figure out who gets to be male and female. Sometimes one gets killed. Is best if one that you add is bigger but that doesnt always work. You could try it again but be prepared. If you dont want to risk losing another clown just leave it be.

What defines a "happy" clown anyway? LOL Mine's been alone for a couple of years now. He eats healthy, and swims normally (whatever "normal" is for a clown). The only time he gets aggressive is with my hand during feeding time :mrgreen:

I had one in my tank for a while. It was fine with the other fish. Then, through an accident, I got a completely different spices (Yellow Striped Maroon). These two lived very happily until my original clown just vanished. No idea what happened to it....at all. Since then I added another YSM who was much smaller. Within minutes HE did the submission jig and the two of them seem happy as can be!

Back