Clownfish jumped

Mikek

Reefing newb
Last night one of my clowns jumped from the tank. Was a pretty good leap too, getting past the HOB filter and the refugium on the back, and with only about 3 inches between the side of the tank and the light. Unfortunately, it died, and the other looks thoroughly depressed, just hanging around under the overhang of the HOB filter.

Is there a reason this may have happened after almost 6 months? All the parameters in the tank are good. I was wondering if it may have become ill and "beached" itself (though there was no sign of deteriorating health), or if it was just random bad luck. I didn't even know these guys were jumpers....

Also, should I quickly get another Clown of the same species to try and "cheer up" the remaining one?

Sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, they do have the ability to jump. Usually when they do it is because they are being chased. Did you noticed any aggression between the clowns or another fish? Was one of your clowns noticeably bigger than the other one? If so which one jumped? If you decide to put another clown in the tank get one that is smaller than the one you have b/c if you have a female in the tank you don't want to put another female in there with her.

Odd thing is, nothing riled them....they had their little corner of the tank that they were kings of. Though occasionally one would get a bit bossy with the other. As they were nearly the same size, it is hard to figure out which one died without them being next to each other. I did think about the gender thing, and do intend to get a small Clown for replacement just in case. Especially since, if one chased out the other, the survivor is probably female.

Sorry for your fishy loss :( I made myself a screen top using the screen Bulk Reef Supply sells and gluing it between a wood frame. Cheap and easy.

I'm so sorry for your loss............but............................

I can't help myself....................................................................................

.............................................................. ...................................

Agreed. I laughed as well. Just bought another smaller clown today. Still acclimizing as I write, but my existing Clown is already more excited and seems no longer depressed. Not 100% sure if the new one is False or True cuz Petco didn't have a sign, and I had to tell them what species it might be. I convinced them it was the cheaper of the breeds in their system and got it for 12.99, 7.99 with my coupon! :) My existing is a False, but I was glad to read the two get along and can and do breed often.

The two are actually "kissing" and swimming together even though the new one is still in the bag...not to sound corny, but it's actually cute, and makes me happy to see my original clown happy...

Well, they weren't exactly mouth to mouth...more like nose toward nose. But the new one is out of the bag, and they've been swimming together like old friends...even going places where the original clown didn't normally hang out. I am surprised so far, I figured there'd be a little aggression as the existing established itself, but nothing so far. Maybe it will be when it actually starts turning female /shrug

Back