Conspecific Question

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
I'm a bit confused about the definition of conspecifc. I understand that it means you can or cannot keep the same species...but here's my question.

If I've got a pair of mated Clarkiis, could I add a black and white ocellaris? although similar, they are obviousy different fish.

or

If I had a Naso Tang can I introduce a blue tang, or is there going to be friction, or worse?

or

If I have a onespot foxface, can I introduce a magnficent foxface...?

Basically, they're all the same but look different. Are the looks of the fish more important than the type of fish itself...Hopefully this makes sense. These are just hypothetical questions, not doing any shopping anytime soon.

I've seen in many larger tanks more than one type of tang in the same tank and they had no issues at all. I think with the tangs at least as long as they are not the same kind they can coexist. You kinda go fish by fish no matter what though. You could have 2 fish that are supposed to be nice end up being terrors and and a terror fish end up being nice.

It depends on the fish. With clowns, you'd have a one in a million shot of two of a different species getting along. With tangs, the odds are much better and most people keep several different tangs together.

Biff is right. I have 4 different kinds of Tangs in my Zero Edge. Clowns - just one pair and I lost many trying different kinds together.

Different shape and colors play a big part. If they have similiar shapes and colors most like likely you`ll see plenty of aggression.

My Algae blenny was getting beat up by a Kole tang from the day I put the Blenny in the DT. I finally had to put the Blenny in the QT because he was starving to death. Its not like the Kole hasn't seen a Blenny, My last one disappeared about a month ago. So you never know

Back