Coolhandgoose's 55gal build

Wow! You get to see so many places that others can't have the chance to!!! Must be exhilarating!!!!

Thanks, it's a really cool job I definitely love doing it. I can't wait until I'm on the bigger planes and get to go around the world to Europe and China. Still it's pretty cool right now flying all around North America. We're currently flying 12 NHL teams so I'm getting to see a lot of places I've never been. Next week I get to see downtown Chicago, Pittsburgh and Phoenix for the first time.

Okay now I'm sad. I was all set to show a pic of my new sand sifting goby this morning when I found him dried up behind the tank :( I don't get it, he was fine for 2 days then decided to jump. I'm off to home depot to look at screen for the top of the tank and calling the LFS to see if they'd maybe offer a deal to replace it.

better not tell them he jumped or I doubt you're gonna get a replacement. Sorry about the fish. Hope everything works out for you.

So I spent the last couple hours making a screen to cover the tank. It turned out pretty good. I'm not sure what the long term effects will be since the tank is definitely not as bright.

Here's some iPhone pics, the good camera is charging.

photo2-6.jpg

photo1-6.jpg

There's a very tiny gap due to acoomadating the overflow etc.

Thought I'd give a quick update on here since I got some new corals.

Fox Coral

photo3-6.jpg

Coco Worm

photo3-5.jpg

Duncans

photo2-8.jpg

Some type of Acan

photo1-7.jpg

Cleaner Shrimp

photo2-7.jpg

My green palys doing awesome

photo4-2.jpg

And finally a FTS showing a couple pieces of new dry rock.

photo1-8.jpg

You can make out a piece of SPS I had at the bottom of the tank that totally bleached out. My LFS told me today that it probably could've bleached out because the finger leather can wage some chemical warfare. So I started running carbon, maybe it can recover but I don't know.

Also you can see the ricordia on the bottom left pyramid rock, it's gotten huge (I've been feeding it) and it's sprouted a baby right beside it.

I'm really digging your amazing fox coral. I had a yellow one in my old 55 when I started out in the hobby, but it died and I haven't seen them for sale in my LFS since. I don't know why they are so uncommon around here, and yours is gorgeous!!

Here's a quick update.

The duncan has pretty much doubled in size, the pictures don't really do it justice but there are all kinds of small heads popping out of it.

photo1-10.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4-3.jpg

photo3-7.jpg

Here is why you don't want your rocks too close to the glass

photo1-9.jpg

The ric that's on that rock is huge but it's been on the move lately and going behind all that coraline so I can barely see it. However it did drop off a baby.

photo2-9.jpg

And here's my shrimp just hanging out.

photo3-8.jpg

Let me know what you think of the fox coral placement please. I'm thinking it should be a little more upright to take advantage of more light, right now the bottom of it doesn't get much since it's shadow is blocking it. And yes I know I really need to break out the good camera when doing these updates.

Sorry, to tell you this, but that tank is to small for a yellow tang.

Thanks, but I disagree. I have flow like a hurricane in there and he seems completely happy and healthy. He's only 3 inches long, but don't worry if he shows signs of stress or overly aggressive behavior he'll go to a better home.

Back