Coolhandgoose's 55gal build

So I found someone today that's selling LR for 2.50/lb. So I'm gonna go pick up about 20-30 lbs and get rid of that huge base rock. I'm making water like crazy right now cuz I'm sure it's gonna stir up all kinds of crap so I'll need a major water change.

I'm thinking I may have to catch my fish and put them in a holding tank for a day just to make sure nothing too crazy is going on with the water.

I just picked up 40 lbs of live rock and a sand sifting star fish for 80 bucks.

photo-5.jpg

i would if you have a quarantine tank setup. it would suck if your water parameters took a drastic change to the new rock and stressed out your other livestock.

On liveaquaria they suggest curring the new live rock in a seperate container for a few weeks. Probably less for you since your's weren't shipped and didn't have so much die-off.

Not really expecting die off although I'll test the water it's in tomorrow to make sure. The rock came from a running tank and was back in water within 30 minutes

keep a look out for any unwanted hitchhikers too. adding the new rock is easy to remove as well and remove whatever it is not wanted.

derp derp with that last message. what i meant to say is, with the addition to adding new rocks, as easily as it is to put them in, its the same level of ease to remove them and pick off, destroy, or scrub away any unwanted hitch hikers. I went and watched school house rock within the hour and thought after my new gramar knowledge; i would correct myself. thank you. ;D

Holy crap this is a lot of work, that huge rock in the middle weighed a ton!!
Now the tank is really cloudy so it's gonna be a challenge organizing the rock.
Tank so far
photo1-11.jpg

Old rock
photo2-11.jpg

Fish and coral in temporary home
photo3-9.jpg

Todays' challenge is going to be getting the two ricordea's from one of the base rocks and attach it to a new piece of LR. Thinking I may have to chisel the rock around it to get it off. Anyone ever do this?

Here's some better photos with the good camera, although I suck at using it.

FTS.
IMG_2018.jpg

Some other views of the corners with cool caves.
IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

Some corlas. I did move the finger leather (it's kinda falling over in that pic lol)
IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg
IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

Couldn't get a decent pic of the ric, but it's pissed off right now anyway.
IMG_2011.jpg

Tried to get a pic of the coral beauty but she likes to hide.
IMG_2023.jpg

New sandsifting star
IMG_2015.jpg

Shrimp
IMG_2009.jpg

Thanks! I'm super happy with the way it looks right now, I can't stop looking at it since it looks 10 times better than it did. Way more real estate has opened up on the sand bed and the tank looks twice as bright without that huge rock taking up all the space.

So, redoing the sump to allow for the way bigger skimmer I bought, here's some pics.

photo2-14.jpg

photo1-14.jpg

I have to remove the right hand divider still but unsure if I want to replace it or not to separate the rocks from the skimmer.

Back