Crab meets Spaghetti Coral

RoyalT

Reefing newb
I finally added my spaghetti into my tank on Sunday. I now have new blue hermits as well. Today when I got home from work a Blue Hermit is hanging off the side of the Spaghetti like he is eating it. My wife said he has been there all day chilling out. One of the branches has gone up inside of him and starting turning a blue green. Typically, in the past if a crab is on a coral it is heading for the wasteland.(i.e. Big Trash can in the sky..)

What should I do? Is this normal? I have had the spaghetti with crabs for about 10 months or longer, and this has never happened. Do I need to get the crab off of there?

Please help!?!

Sorry, I cant take pictures of it my digital camera died this Christmas!!! Tank came first when it was time to decide which to replace!!

The hermit could be feeding on some slime from the leather,or dead skin from it.Its really hard to say.Maybe its just resting there.

Definitly not resting, although their is slime coming out of the spaghetti branch now, since typing original thread

I am wondering if part of the branches are dying and the buzzards are possibly starting swarm. I might just be over reacting, but this is my first and oldest coral, so I have sentimental value at stake here.

It's true that they tend to be able to smell death, but I'd think that if your coral was actually dying there'd be more than one crab on it.

I have little Dwarf Blue Legged Hermits that will hang out on a leather coral when it molts.Sort of protection while its exo-skeleton hardened for a day or two then they move on.

Back