Cross breading clownfish

joshuacohenjc

Reefing newb
i am planing on setting up a breeder tank with 3 sub-section, one to bread my ocellaris clowns. one to breed bangai cardinals and the third to try to cross bread a pink skunk clown fish with a maroon or clarki clownfish.
do you think that would be possible?
will the offspring create clownfish that are a mix of the two, or some will be pink skunk and some will be clarki or (maroon)

The more aggressive clowns will kill the passive ones...I don't think they'll cross breed imo. But I may be wrong.

Crossbreeding is extremely rare. They are two different species. It's like putting a hamster and a gerbil in a cage together and hoping they will make babies. It just doesn't happen except in a one in a million chance.

Like Smitty said, the different types of clowns will probably kill each other.

Also, I don't know how much you've researched fish breeding, but you will need several different tanks for the fry with different equipment as they get older and larger.

Crossbreeding is extremely rare. They are two different species. It's like putting a hamster and a gerbil in a cage together and hoping they will make babies. It just doesn't happen except in a one in a million chance.

Like Smitty said, the different types of clowns will probably kill each other.

Also, I don't know how much you've researched fish breeding, but you will need several different tanks for the fry with different equipment as they get older and larger.

thanks, but i am aware

And clowns can take a long time before they pair up, let alone start breeding. They have to feel completely secure and comfortable in their surroundings, sometimes for years before they get busy.

Trust me Joshua, were not trying to discourage you at all, just letting you know how extremely committed you'll have to be to pull it off...if you still decide to try it, I wish you the best of luck. :)

I don't really know anything about cross breeding clownfish, but assuming you're going to try I would guess you would have a harder time with the maroon clown (premnas) as they are not even the same genus as the pink skunk or clarkii clowns(amphiprion).

In the wild, a rare species will sometimes breed with a non-rare species if the rare species can't find a mate of its own species. The two species must be of the same genus, and must look similar.
One example of is this:
When I was in Hawaii, I came across this lagoon that had three species of Sergeant Majors in it. Two of the species I recoginized ( the endemic Hawaiian Sgt. Major, which was the more common of the two, and the Indo-Pacific Sgt. Major which was not that common) The third species was the hybrid of both of these. I only saw three individuals of the Indo-Pac. Sgt. Maj. in the entire 100yd. long lagoon. Maybe you can induce a similar event with your two clown species. The process is called selective breeding.

Back